Acts of DEFIANCE Review & Feedback

RUNDOWN
Yay. Hype and promos.

MAN DOWN
Nice spin on the numbers disadvantage by saying the heels need it, which adds a dimension of confidence to Synz and company.

DIBBINS VS. ADLER & KRUGER
So The Dibbins are family, yet one is from West Virginia and the other is from Texas lol. This was a great opening match with plenty of action. I like the incoherence of The Dibbins wrestling style and strategy, which is probably better suited for an angelfire indie fed. They get under my skin so easily. Surprised to see them win but they are over with me, which again agitates me.

MUSHIGIHARA VS. LISIL JACKSON
Another good match. The action was varied enough throughout the match which kept it interesting. I especially liked the comment that Mushi was “wearing his heart on his sleeve and his company on his face” literally. Jackson showing his hand after the match that he has been essentially forced to do UTA bidding didn’t dampen the UTA’s victory at all. It just shows how much of a powerful stranglehold they have on everything. Even the disheartening in DDK calling the three hit home with me.

SOUL SURVIVOR
I thought this was a good segment. Even though he’s heel, Unlikely comes off to me as someone who is a chronic jokester so it was unique to see him with such a serious attitude. Call it a PPV moment but it seems like Unlikely cuts the garbage when all the marbles are on the line. I liked what CL said here too. The wheelchair was a nice touch.

CHRIS ROSS VS. GAGE BLACKWOOD
Really entertaining match. This had plenty of good spots and I was itching for a well written parking lot brawl, which this essentially was. I like the seamless transition from the start of the match to the action and all the mayhem that followed. Blackwood comes out of this looking like a complete badass and even though Ross appeared to lose, he looks good from the violent battle too. I liked the car spot. Looks like Angus will have to buy another Camaro. Whoever would own such a vehicle deserves to have it ruined by wrestlers.

COMING UP NEXT...
Pre-match fluff.

ELISE ARES VS. THE JAY HARVEY
Solid action throughout the match. I especially liked how Ares blew kisses and winks at Catalina, obviously. Anyways, another DEF talent falls at the hands of the UTA. The finish was nice. I like how the ref only saw The D move Harvey’s foot off the ropes and not when Catalina put it on.

PEP TALK
This was a short but sweet segment that sets the stage for Harmen.

ACES WILD VS. NICKY SYNZ & THUGZ 4 HIRE
Injecting Butcher into the matched got me hyped... only to bring me right back down. Actually, come to think of it, I think this was brilliantly executed. Nicky Synz and Thugz 4 Hire might have been able to win on their own, or at least, the appearance of such was given. Butcher unintentionally serves up the win due to his pre-existing injury. This was a pretty good match with an even better finish.

SPECIAL ATTRACTION
It was just that; a special attraction. Impulse seems to exude this unparalleled energy and this was highly entertaining to read. The knee cracking spot got me to cringe a bit and not because it was badly executed. I just can’t handle some of the blood and guts stuff.

TEAM HOSS & THE FUSE BROS. VS. NJNP
Another solid match with plenty of action. All these PPV matches are delivering on lots of good wrestling. Surprised to see the good guys win here after a trend of mostly baddies getting it done but I’ll take it. Team Hoss and The Fuse Bros. pulled out some pretty incredible moves at the end.

CRIMSON LORD VS. OSCAR BURNS
CL was relentless with his attack to start things out. Plenty of big moves leading to plenty of near ten counts. Burns battles back a bit but each time he does it seems like Lord has the answer. Seeing the whole locker room clear out to prevent a pretty beaten CL from leaving was a neat touch too and led to more opportunities for Burns to do damage. Congrats to Burns on becoming the new WrestleUTA Champion. Lord put up a good showing but it was Burns that ultimately comes away with the win. Great match.

THE FUTURE
This seg just goes to show how much Impulse despises the reapers by stating he rather see UTA guys with belts.

MIKEY UNLIKELY VS. SCOTT DOUGLAS
I liked the use of the ladder here, especially the Russian leg sweep off the apron which broke the ladder in two. I really like how Unlikely is the owner of the UTA yet he isn’t competing in the main title picture. I feel this really elevated this feud as well as the status of Scott Douglas. The hair product spots were funny. Wow! Another devastating blow to the UTA that started out the show with such promise. They’ve lost their two top belts in the last two contests! Congrats to Scott Douglas on becoming the true HERITAGE.

REAPER CO. VS. KENDRIX & STEVENS
The night vision goggled attack was cool. Kendrix and Stevens soften the blow a bit for the UTA but still, they are reeling big time after Lord and Unlikely fell. Still one chance remains for the UTA to salvage the night if they can steal the FIST away from Cayle.

TALE OF THE TAPE
A good recap and stage setting for what appears to be the final battle in the DEF vs. UTA war.

CAYLE MURRAY VS. JACK HARMEN
Oh my. The rick-rolled entrance of Harmen, and his reaction was priceless. I also liked the use of the UTA announcers coming out for a moment. A Nintendo under the ring? Did The Fuse Bros. leave it there or something? There was so much great stuff in this match like the epic exchanging of punches back and forth or the complete destruction of the ring which ultimately led to Murray winning via an amazing submission sequence. The ending was especially well written.

OVERALL
Ummm who had the bright idea to book a PPV on Super Bowl Sunday? That said, I know we stole a ton of viewership away from the NFL. It’s hard for them to compete with us and they should know better lol. So it looks like the war is over... or is it? With DEFIANCE pretty much defeating UTA where it counted most. This was a huge show and I think most of it was really well done. I look forward to contributing this arc and beyond.

STAR OF THE SHOW: Oscar Burns. I know Murray is on an epic run with the FIST but I picked Burns because I feel he really got the ball rolling in terms of DEF momentum by capturing the UTA Title and toppling Lord. Both wins were equally as impressive.

ROSS’ MUST READ CHARACTER: Cayle Murray. This is where I can fit Cayle in. His impressive reign includes victories over pretty much every major heel the UTA could throw at him. I wonder what is next for him.