login  |  Register

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ACTS of DEFIANCE Discussion Thread: The Mormonstrosity

This is where the feedback lives! Don't let the feedback die ... the feedback never really hurt you.

Did it? ok, show me on the doll...

DEFtv 93: http://defiancewrestling.com/results/191

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: ACTS of DEFIANCE Discussion Thread: The Mormonstrosity

CELEBRATE GOOD TIMES! C’MON!
    Nice change up this week without the rundown and of course Mikey and his cohorts are gonna come out here and gloat. The “I TOLD YOU SO” really sums up the perfect tone for this whole piece. The braggadocious heel and his heelies rubbing it in after DEF took a big L. Fantastic start to the show.

OSCAR BURNS VS. REINHARDT HOFFMAN

The Technical Spectacle going one on one with the Gentlemen German. This spun nicley out of the PPV/Uncut and is a perfect first match for this show. Seth really sold the whole thing in the opening commentary as well as hitting that super important “infighting” note. This was a solid match if not maybe a touch long for TV, but a great read. Hoffman takes the loss and even taps - but wethered by War Games and then so evenly matched against Burns. That plays. The handshake at the end of the match was well written as well and lends to DEF finally getting their shit together - maybe. Great job.

FOLLOW THE LIGHTS
    Wrote it. Douglas has no match tonight coming off of the WG loss but he has some words for Michael.

GETTING TO KNOW YOU
    A lot of Interview stage action tonight. It’s funny how something barely gets used and then everyone is thinking along the same lines at the same time. “Fake dirtsheets.” Entertaining read that was equal parts great follow up from the PPV as well as setting up the next match. This Charlie Ace thing has been at time a little hard to follow, I think mostly because I’ve never been too invested in who he is managing (burn me once...) but it’s still been a fun ride and overall this is clearly shaping up to be something great.

CC vs. BUTCHER

I wasn’t expecting such a quick win, caught me by complete surprise. And now we have a kerfuffle. “Can someone get out here?” “Someone is out here” good stuff. Question is who the hell are these two unidentified fellows. Intrigued.

TALENT SCOUT
    More Russian that I never bother to translate. Only because if the writer/tv producer wants us to know what they are saying it’ll come up at some point. Otherwise I take it as a language I don’t know or understand and therefore as a standard American television watcher - it’s scary. #RasslinLogic. I’m loosely involved in all this but I didn’t write a word. Justin and Stevie killed this, super entertaining set up to later events in the night. DEF already seems to be completley fucked … if the Reapers and their budding Army of Brazen talent jump ship - there may be no winning.

WHO IS LEFT
    Solid segment, Crimson’s dialogue read a little weird in some places. The more heat thing plays well though and Crimson if sure after it. Burns pops up, that was a surprise. Burn’s is always good for a chuckle. Felt like this started to go a bit long, but Crimson jumps back into the back and forth and we end up in quick exchange that bodies Burns.

STEVENS vs. LOCAL TALENT
    This one confused me from the first time it popped up in the ARC Booking. So I’m interested to see what happens here. “Stevens is easily the most despised member of UTA” I can dig that is what the writer wants to get the character over with and I get that it fits into the #FUCKDEF deal but at this point … fresh off of WG I’d say if it isn’t Ryan, Harmen, or Mikey there are still a name or two before Stevens. The promo was hit or miss with me. I felt like some lines were great and others just really felt clunky and missed their mark. Overall I wasn’t a big fan of this. Is Satánico Pandemonium made up just for this occasion? Honestly he could be a UTA NPC that I’m not familiar with but the way he is written and described doesn’t feel like it. Squashes certainly have their place to build a character but I don’t really feel like the way this reads it did anything to help Stevens.

NO SIDES
    Helped with this one.

WOLVES
    Good segment. Andy is back and Cayle responds to Mikey’s bounty. NJNP in the place to be. Looks like we got a title match and some mutually agreed stipulations that I’m sure won’t come into play at all. Good read.

THE MOST DANGEROUS MAN IN DEFIANCE
    Abrupt start but it works and hey Ross has music … twice in a row! I felt like the Ross promo started really strong as it goes on it starts to get watered down, goes from badass to “watch it on youtube” - lost me a little there, referencing the past is fine but for a inring may be beat that drum a little less hard. It feels a little too on the nose at times much like saying “I’m UTA’s loose cannon” - most loose cannons don’t know they are a loose cannon. I do like the continuity that everyone in UTA is jockeying for basically the same position and stumbling into other qurallels. The attack was set up nicely . Blackwoods reaction to DEFsec was nice too. My nitpicking aside I liked this one and can’t wait to read the rest of this feud.

RING THE BELL/HARVEY THREEWAY
    Granted this start with a segment, but the opponents are in the ring already so I was surprised not to have a Quimbey introduction. Promo seemed to drone on a little long but overall the segment was fine. Not sure if it was entirely needed but it does continue the theme of UTA members monopolizing TV time to gloat and rub in the MAXDEF results. The match was fine enough and served it’s purpose stated into the segment. Good stuff.

GEARS OF GWAR: LAST DAY
    Creative vignette. Very interesting read. I think some of the video game references are lost on me but this has been solid stuff from the jump. Can’t wait to see this act in full swing.

HIDE AND SEEK
    Good follow up to before. This is strange to say the least. A little bit a mutual respect? Or at least common curitousy between Lisil and Blackwood. Interested to see where this is going.

A CALL FOR JUSTICE
    PCP coming out now and we get some nice selling and the fall out from the DEF perspective. “Bee-tee-dubs” Reginald Klein Boxman III, Esq., now that’s just funny. I actually laughed out loud at “Maybe you unite toughness by putting the same word on both end...wait, where’d Jack go! Klein! Subpoena him!” Good segment overall. The knee thing was interesting. Fun read.

ANDY vs. DIGGS

Solid TV match. Diggs of course does is cheating, cowardly shitheel stuff and Andy gets upset in the end. This seems be setting something up, can’t wait to see what.

DEFIANTLY UNITED
    And there it is. Nice little button to the match before. I dig the subtlety of this one. I think this puts Stevens in a much better spot than the jobber match from earlier in the night. I forget if it was here of Harmen’s appearance above but there were some find and replace typos in there with Harmens name.

Just When You Thought…
    This is the interview stage show. “glove that makes hamburgers not taste like shite!” ???? DEF gets a little gloating of their own in but NJNP isn’t gonna let that go on for long. They’ve made it personal now with the attack of Capital Punishment and it looks like we a MAXDEF rematch.

CRIMSON LORD © VS. RICH MAHOGANY
    Squash. There were some spacing issues in this as well, prior to proof. Please check the doc on that. I thought it was weird when I joined up but now seeing Defiance not in all caps is odd. Quimbey's announcements where very bare, especially for Rich. I know we harp on keeping TV matches short - but over all this just felt phoned in. A squash can certainly serve a purpose but when it's this brief, it feels undercut and that point I don't know if it actually serves that purpose any longer.

CAYLE VS. BIGSBY
    New entrance for Cayle and this match is off to the races. Great match and incredibly written as usual. Super solid main event. With DEF firmly on the ropes it makes you wonder how long Cayle, already injured, can keep this up.

OVERALL
    Strong ARC opener. And guys please, capitalize your titles, format correctly and space correctly. We are all going to make mistakes here and there, sure - but some of you are consistently making the same ones over and over again.

This means more work in the proofing process and will translate to late cards… and for awhile now we’ve been on a pretty good roll of on time cards. Also follow the RUNSHEET when reserving segments. If there is an issue with your placement let us know in the RUNSHEET thread so we can try to accommodate your needs without throwing something else off completely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CELEBRATE GOOD TIMES! C’MON!
    Wrote this! Hope you enjoyed!

OSCAR BURNS VS. REINHARDT HOFFMAN

Liked this match and the philosophy used. The multiple pin attempts consecutively is nice, and something rarely done in EW. Angus was on his form In this one, “twists off their arm and beats them with it” lol. If this were an Indy show, this is the part where the crowd shouts out “WRESTLING~!” randomly. This was a different style, Loved it. usually you only get this much grappling in a Impulse match. Nice handshake finish. This was lovely.

FOLLOW THE LIGHTS
    Nice segment from Scott Douglas, follows up a little from Mikey earlier In the night, but addresses the real issues. 1) The Invasion 2) The SOHER 3) Reaper Co. This was a checkmark across the board. Good face promo into the Reaper stuff. Scott Douglas won’t “assume the position” for anyone. I like it. Angus was very anti Dooglas tho.

GETTING TO KNOW YOU
    Nice segment leading into the following match. This was a good “hey what now?” seg to further the Charlie Ace angle. I’m a big fan of this stuff that Damien is doing! It’s great! Loved the line that Caballero is finally getting everything he thought he would by waiting patiently.

CC vs. BUTCHER

Hell of a quick match but very well put together. This was a fun read, kept me interested throughout. Nicki Synz won’t die! Two new men in on the equation now! The stable is building quick! The slow play is paying off in a big way here on this arc.

TALENT SCOUT
    This was awesome. Loved the play on JFK going to Paz to pitch a job for the reapers and getting no answer… JFK lays down the law and tells her how awesome it would be for Reapers to be in team UTA. Then he threatens at the end, if Reaper co makes the wrong choice…. Well there are consequences. AWESOME

WHO IS LEFT
    YES! This is great! Hahahahaha Loved the promo from CL alone in the beginning, just rubbing it in the faces of the fans. Then burns comes out and this turns into half comedy/half seriousness and it was great! I feel like Seth is finding the voice of Burns a bit better now than previously. The personality came through here. Good work. Loved the quick brawl. The heel started it, but he finished it too! This feud feels gold already J

STEVENS vs. LOCAL TALENT
    If you would like feedback, provide feedback J

NO SIDES
    Read this while it was coming together. Good job here from Stevie and Justin. I allowed them to use mikey freely and in no way did they do anything I wouldn’t have. UTA IS THE PLACE TO BE YEA!? Nice way to give a definitive statement from Reaper co. they are on their own. Mikey’s party has slowed down a bit. Good work guys

WOLVES
    B.E.A.UTIFUL! Good seg from Murray and great response to the Bounty. Loved the waqy he worked NJNP in and gave them a spot to give their say before the match. This went from “The FIST isn’t ready” to “He better be real quick!” Nice!

The Most Dangerous Man in Defiance
    “Mikey doesn’t pay Chris to play by the rules, he pays him to get the job done!” Nice line especially keeping with continuity with the invasion. Thought this was a pretty good promo actually. Like the direction Chris is taking this. He’s a Hired gun, but completely unpredicable (Except to the person with the moolah). I like it. Ditch “Loose Cannon” and go with something like “Wildcard” seems more original. Gage Blackwood comes out and interferes after Chris is Jaw jacking with the crowd. Nice way to give Gage some momentum going forward. I know some may complain about the face attacking the heel, but I like this kinda stuff in the “war” setting. Good appearances from both guys. This benefited everyone in it.

Ring The Bell -
    i loved this bit from harvey, plays off the War Games match, still wearing bandages from the opening seg (CONTINUITY!) and mentions how he’s STILL going to beat anyone that gets in his way. Good promo. Also I love the word Bozos and it should be reserved for Harvey!

Triple Threat-
    Great TV style match here. I enjoyed Harvey playing more of the “outthink, not outwork” attitude. One of my favorite heels on the roster, but goddamn is this roster stacked! Good match Harvey keeps moving up! Good job bud.

Hide and Seek
    Enjoyed this bit too, world building, hints at future stuff, and continuing the current angle. Ross probably left, it’s the right move for a shit heel LOL.

A CALL FOR JUSTICE
    If you would like feedback, provide feedback J

ANDY vs. DIGGS

Great match, and great storytelling. Andy Murray seems to have lost a step and the ever shady Danny Diggs picks up a HUGE upset. Nice stuff. Liked the rib work, and the exposed turnbuckle, the roll up, the tights the whole deal. Looking to see what fallout comes from this.

DEFIANTLY UNITED
    To short not to beef. Good stuff, little hints and world building. I like that two UTA guys got together for this!

Just When You Thought…
    Love that the feud keeps building and growing. Nice turns in Brazen to help the angle just a little more. good stuff SETH. LOVE what you are doing with NJNP.

CRIMSON LORD © VS. RICH MAHOGANY
    Crimson lord picks up a big win. Rich wasn’t himself, ill chalk that up to Scott not knowing the character. This was fine for what it was. Another Crimson win and he keeps on Rolling as UTA Champion. Nothing wrong with the match, just would have liked to see more personality shine through.

CAYLE VS. BIGSBY
    Great match! Had to do it all in one read, I don’t know what it is about Murrr’s writing but he turns the Suspense to 12 everytime! It’s great! Nice first Bounty match here tonight. Shame Felton couldn’t get it done, he would have made a great FIST J Murrr is doing a ton of work on this arc, so kudos out to you boyo.
    Last edited by MikeyUnlikely; 12-11-17 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Can't have too much Beef.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

celebrate good times, c'mon - mikey and the rest of his roster gloat and with good reason, a win is a win. after that mikey puts a bounty on the FIST of DEFIANCE title. we will see who tries to cash in on that. no complaints, it was long but that is to be expected.

burns vs hoffman
    - this match had some stank on it. nice paced match that had both men in the driver's seat. match ends with a submission. solid contest and a good win for burns after the ppv loss to stoovins.

follow the lights
    - started off solid and then went in a crazy direction. things continue to get weird between douglas and the reaper's. definitely something out of the attitude era imo. wondering where this goes.

getting to know you - good segment. liked how victorious picked holes in caballero's victories and time with ace. very good set up for their upcoming match.

victorious vs caballero - that was a quick one. after the match all hell breaks loose. ace's stable seems to be growing. i dug this a lot. good work.

talent scout - kendrix trying to make a deal to get the reaper co to align itself with wrestleuta? we will see what their answer is later on. wrestleuta seems to be going to any length to finish this hostile takeover.

who is left? - crimson lord pours more salt in the wounds after war games but is stopped when oscar burns comes down, making his claim for the wrestleuta world title and for the pride of DEFIANCE. burns got his pot shots in, the two brawled and crimson does what crimson always does, dominate. good work boys.

stoovins vs local talent - stoovins continues the trend of shitting on defiance. i actually like his security team gimmick. the match was quick and gave stoovins more heat.

no sides - reaper co. is fucking errybody up. i guess that's a solid "no" to jfk and mikey's offer.

wolves - nice face promo from cayle murray. murray has his first challenger to try and claim the bounty on his head, should be interesting.

the most dangerous man in defiance - ross has gotten better and better as time goes on. solid heel work and loved when blackwood came out to get some revenge. the brawl gets cut short by security but these two has unfinished business.

my stuff - i wrote dings.

gow:last day - what?

hide and seek? - im torn on this. i get there being a segment like this but idk if it was necessary.

a call for justice - going to some lengths to get a rematch. harmen doesn't want to hear any of it when he comes out. this isn't done, not one bit. i liked the segment, continued their story and i loved the harmen digs at... everyone really.

big brother murr vs diggs- shocker. murr runs into the exposed turnbuckle and suffers a tough loss. a win is a win and diggs beat a legend.

defiantly united - planting seeds. loved it becuz stoovins didn't say anything, woooo!

crimson lord vs mahogany - squash. loved how crimson put his forearm in mahogany's face as he made the pin.

just when you thought - a challenge has been made. the defiance tag team division continues to heat up.

murray vs bigsby - classic face comeback at the end. murray gets it taken to him but finds the fortitude at the end to go above for the victory. solid win and good match.
    love ya pete

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Celebrate Good Times: Great way to kick off the show.... Will be fun this Arc to see who all goes for the belt and how things will play out from here!

Burns VS Hoffman: Nice match to get Burns back on track. Much needed win here!

Follow The Lights: The Reapers being as unpredictable as ever. Will definitely keep an eye to see where this leads.

Getting To Know You: Simple set up for the match. This seg did it's job.

Victorious VS Caballero: Looks like we might have a new stable to keep an eye on. We'll see where this leads.

Talent Scout: UTA are simply shameless... Surely the Reaper crew won't join UTA...... OR will they?

Who is left?: Simple and to the point. Nothing fancy just 1 guy wants a shot at the belt and the other just wants to eat the guy for breakfast. Nothing out of the ordinary needed here to kick off this feud!

Stevens VS Local Talent: Well this was inevitable. Though I didn't expect Gangrel to make a cameo tonight!

No Sides: Well guess we aren't sharing Oreo Frappes with the Reaper crew afterall.... Bummer....

Wolves: Looks like we got the first man to step up to the plate! Let's see if Bigsby is able to swing for the fences or if he'll strike out.

Ring The Bell: I know it's not the writer's fault but seems odd to have back to back in ring promos. Even though it was typical Jay Harvey Heel antics we all know and love.

Jay Harvey Three way: Yeah this was inevitable. Yeah Harvey is a prick and we all love it.

Gears OF War: Last Day: *Insert head tilt here* Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....... Consider me thoroughly confused.....

A Call For Justice: Jack Harmen man I loved him in UTA And I still love him. He's such a goofy over the top character. Anything with Harmen in it is usually pure entertainment regardless of what it is.

Murr VS Diggs: WOW. I did not see this coming. Perhaps this is the classic "Has the old vet lost it?" Angle. as cliched as it kind of is I still am intrigued to see where this angle will go.

Defiantly United: Looks like the piranhas are licking at their chops to get to Cayle Murray now.

Crimson Lord VS Mahogany: Yeaaaaaaaaah this was inevitable. Crimson Lord is just a monster and plays the role so well.

Just When You Thought: Nice to see the tag division heat up. Looking forward to see where this goes.

Murr VS Bigsby: Great match! Good comeback at the end but the reality is going into next show he's going to be defending the belt and not at 100% either. Blood is in the water and the sharks are swarming.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DEFtv 93 beef

Celebrate Good Times

It's the victory parade - it had to happen. The only thing I don't like about this - literally the only thing - is "It's almost comedic how much he stands out" referring to CL. I feel like the original DX worked so well as goofy assholes because Chyna was always serious without having to call attention. Nothing about CL in this scene should be comedic, even in an ironic way. But that's just me. Good move with JFK kicking Lance Warner out, tho.

Burns vs Hoffman

Good point by Angus - stop fighting each other and fight the mormons. 'German from the German' should be a thing Angus says from now on. But it was a solid win for Burns, which makes sense with everything going on - Hoffman did not make a difference in war games, so he needs to fade back for a bit.

Follow the Lights

We don't see interview stages often enough. Awesome promo from Scott Douglas - with Cayle beaten down and Impulse on the shelf, we need another strong pro-DEF babyface to pick up the slack and he's doing it in spades. The interruption from Paz and the Kabal was a needed reminder that there is still another enemy out there that we can't see. LOVING THIS ANGLE.

Getting to Know You

Literally my only beef with this seg is the back to back use of Lance Warner on the interview stage. Jesus fucking hell, who proofreads this shi wait this is a great segment.

In all seriousness, this segment was a setup for future things, which is what you need coming off a PPV. In this case, it was a direct setup for

Caballeros vs. Butcher

Quick, storyline "match" - like I said before, this is the show to set up the next things.

Talent Scout

Another Paz sighting. Interesting flip flop from ACTS - this time the Reapers are being scouted. It makes sense that Kendrix would assume the Reapers are on UTA's side, but it also makes sense that Paz rejects him (but not fully, not yet) because they're on their own.

Who is left?

This is the Crimson Lord we need.

Scott Stevens vs Local Talent

I kind of feel like Quimbey shouldn't be that excited about a WrestleUTA guy. Maybe the Mormons should have their own ring announcer?

No Sides

Logical followup to both the Kendrix/Reaper seg from earlier - and the Douglas stuff. This arc I think is the arrival of Scott Douglas: he'll be a top tier babyface at the end of it, whether he wins his feud or not. The tension was perfect in my opinion, though - so while I love the way the Reapers attacked both DEF and WrestleUTA pillars with equal ferocity, I'm not sure I liked them doing it in THIS particular segment.

Wolves

The Murrray boys are best bois.

The Most Dangerous Man in Defiance

I would love to see this arc conclude with literally everyone Chris Ross insulted to line up and kick him in the dick. Words have consequences, sir. But it's a good reminder that Everybody Hates Chris. And now, Everybody Loves Gage.

Ring the Bell/THE Jay Harvey vs two guys

I mean, it's a squash and the squash setup. Not much to say about it but it establishes more about Harvey and his character beyond "WrestleUTA guy." Well done.

You Will Play

There's a band from NYC called PUi that has an EP called "You will clap" - my brain immediately went there. But I'm excited for the Fuse Bros.

Hide and Seek?

Good start to the Lisil Jackson redemption. He's the one guy on the WrestleUTA side that is clearly not trying to take things over (as opposed to Harmen who... we don't know what he's capable of). I like the establishing moment for him.

A Call for Justice

This might be my favorite story of all from the past year: the slow-burn face turn of the PCP. It takes a bit of a turn with Jack Harmen, who is ostensibly a heel - but who is enough of a legend for the fans to pop no matter what.

Big Murrr vs Danny Diggs

Surprising loss for The King, but this makes it look like he's entering his winter. Respect for the realistic type angle, even if it involved a pull of the tights.

Defiantly United

Well written, but felt like filler.

CL vs. Rich Mahogany

Feel bad saying it, but this match is the reason why we've been harping on Angus Skaaland's Very Important Opinions. I have no problem with Rich Mahogany being used as enhancement talent, or with CL being an overpowering monster who destroys his opponents. Rich Mahogany is one of the more... interesting... characters in DEF, and he is an Angus Skaaland favorite, which should have been reflected in the commentary.

Just When You Thought

...that TEAM HOSS would be an Angus favorite again. Glad to see a tag team feud that does not revolve around the titles.

Cayle vs. Felton

Squidboy keeps hope alive. The bounty has the potential to be a great arc-wide angle, I hope it keeps on rolling.
    "Every generation needs a revolution." - Magnetic Poetry (original)

Thread Information