User Tag List

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Ask the EAST PREZ

Yeah, I gotcha. I think this ties into what you were saying before, but when you have a running storyline that you can use to tie together an entire card, it has that "flow" to it and people remain interested. That, to me, is the true strength of NFW (and old UWA) cardwriting. The last Crash was a perfect example, because it started off with the JTP/Mayfield drama, had me wondering "OK what the hell are they gonna do? I'm pretty sure Eddie's not gonna just give the belt back, but how will they make it interesting?" And then you all totally surprised me with the Eddie Mayfield Franklin Mint Commemorative title angle, lol, which was awesome. Also, the whole DC Stratton turning on New Day Rising was a cool surprise (I thought DC was going to 'accidentally' cost them the belts, not completely turn!). Anyway, my point is, it didn't feel like just a bunch of matches, but a real event. So no matter what you intend for the card, if you have interesting material to use and you're not half assing it, it just might become epic.

TOTALLY agreed with you guys on tag teams! One reason I brought back Castor and PC as a team is because I always loved the oddball teams, like Credible and Storm; two guys who have little in common but who blend well as a team. I'm excited for Vive Le Quebec as well!
    a castor strife production

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EastPrez View Post
    One other thing for Billy -

I don't think I or Katz ever set out to write MAGNUM OPUSES (Opussi?) when we write cards. I've been open to the fact that not every match is a five-star classic, nor should it be. It's hard to do when I'm very conscious of how the crowd is reacting to a segment or match. It's my slight way of showing you how over a character is by how the crowd is reacting. I know there were some guys who aren't here anymore who couldn't stand that every NFW card had people hanging themselves from excitement, but hey, we have great fans

Epic matches happen when great characters who are in the middle of a great story do great things.
    I think we're really into providing details that takes a text-based hobby into more of a 'visual' place for anyone reading us.

I also agree about skimmers breaking my heart, but I've realized long ago that it's something I'd now be foolish to expect.

Just so anyone knows, I don't ask if anyone reads shows anymore because I can usually tell if you've read a whole show by what your character's said in roleplay or by IM/PM/email convo's I'll have with someone in discussing the fed or their character.

There's someone right now in this fed asking, "What the (bleep!) is the Eddie Mayfield Commemorative belt? Is it a new title?"

However, with the amount of talent we've had come into the fed, people who do their research end up moving up quickly because they're able to take everything that's going on in the shows and use it to "run with the ball."

-WESTprez (sorry I jumped in again!)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LQJT86C View Post
    Yeah, I gotcha. I think this ties into what you were saying before, but when you have a running storyline that you can use to tie together an entire card, it has that "flow" to it and people remain interested. That, to me, is the true strength of NFW (and old UWA) cardwriting. The last Crash was a perfect example, because it started off with the JTP/Mayfield drama, had me wondering "OK what the hell are they gonna do? I'm pretty sure Eddie's not gonna just give the belt back, but how will they make it interesting?" And then you all totally surprised me with the Eddie Mayfield Franklin Mint Commemorative title angle, lol, which was awesome. Also, the whole DC Stratton turning on New Day Rising was a cool surprise (I thought DC was going to 'accidentally' cost them the belts, not completely turn!). Anyway, my point is, it didn't feel like just a bunch of matches, but a real event. So no matter what you intend for the card, if you have interesting material to use and you're not half assing it, it just might become epic.

TOTALLY agreed with you guys on tag teams! One reason I brought back Castor and PC as a team is because I always loved the oddball teams, like Credible and Storm; two guys who have little in common but who blend well as a team. I'm excited for Vive Le Quebec as well!
    Crash 47 was also SUPER-awesome for me as a fedhead 'cause of the amount of handler contributions that went into it. JN and I have been primarily responsible for show content for many years. If there's any NFW East guys from a couple years ago, McNichols was writing most of that as well.

So, for me...seeing that amount of contribution on a high enough level where JN and I are comfortable with being hands-off on it...it was something very new and exciting.

NFW will always put tag-teams before anything, if we can. JN and I are complete marks for the concept.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In response to JN (and for the benefit everyone else) --

I can't stress enough how important I think it is to RP more than one character. The trend the past XXX of years has been to have one guy in your pocket, and maybe w/ a manager/love interest/etc.

I, obviously, RP a ton of guys. Here in NFW, I have used DC, WildStar, The Oblivion Express, Tsunami, Rayne, Calvin Carlton, The OSS, August De La Rossi, Z.!, Lone Wolf, PowerMaster, Ryan Oracle, a bunch of one-time tag teams and Troy Windham.

Now, it has its problems. I have a problem that, when I get real-life busy or if there's a big lag in between cards, of flaking out. And RPing a bunch of characters has been part of the problem. Here in NFW, I haven't RP'd them all at once. At the start, I only used WildStar and then grabbed Calvin from the announcer's table. Then, I moved that into Calvin w/ The OSS. On the side, I used PowerMaster and Lone Wolf (only a little bit w/ him) which were easy to use because they're silly. Then I moved from The OSS to The Entourage, where I did a lot but got caught up moving/work/grad school/etc. And now I've been doing the Suicide Kingz/NDR for the past year.

But... I think it's worth it. Personally, it's always kept me in the mix of things here and in other leagues I've been in. (I still think I'm the only guy, aside from Chad and Steve, who has RP'd two characters to the top belt in the CSWA -- 'Nami and Troy.)

But, more importantly, over the years, its helped me a ton. I can handle different "voices" of characters that, unfortunately, I think a lot of the one-character RPers miss out on. And by knowing how different characters speak -- WildStar's different than DC whose different than Troy -- has helped me develop each character separately.

Its also helped me professionally. Career wise, I'm a writer/journalist type of person. I have to talk to all kinds of people when I write articles, so figuring out ways to make different individuals come off as unique is something I really focus on. It's also something I think I'm pretty good at, and I think my FW career is a big reason why.

FW's helped me out professionally in other ways, too. Handling deadlines has never been an issue w/ me because I've been beating RP deadlines since I've been 14-years-old. Learning how to "pre-write" and get articles organized in my head has never been a problem because I've been doing that since I've been a kid.

Also, oddly, FW has also helped me with the dark part of a career. I've had to navigate through people pulling schemes/power plays/politicking since I've been a kid, too. And I've learned how to "play dirty" while also keeping some of my integrity as well (I hope).

So, don't think you can't get anything out of this rather bizarre hobby.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're spot on about that Gregg. Writing for NFW, I've been able not only to write Miles and O'Connor/H'WOOD -- but I've written many of the characters that people create. It's really helped me in terms of finding different 'voices' to use, when writing anything.

I also work really, really fast at deadline jobs. (no jokes, I swear!) And then if there's ever those fun/creative side things...people are shocked at what I come up with to the point they're wondering why I'm not working in a different industry.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And now, since I made 3 posts without a question...

THREE QUESTIONS FOR THE EAST PREZ!

1) I always sensed the Ultratitle Years were not your cup of tea. I didn't sense a 'hate,' but I always knew that you weren't that into it. While the concept was definitely innovative, I'd like to hear your thoughts on why it DIDN'T work.

2) Why are character names so important to you? Not mentioning any past NFW characters, but you've thrown a couple in the "not for me" pile just based on their name. I think it'd be cool for you to explain to everyone why thinking out a character name is important.

3) Gregg and I were discussing all-time NFW feuds the other night. What's at the top of your list?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GreggG View Post
    In response to JN (and for the benefit everyone else) --

I can't stress enough how important I think it is to RP more than one character. The trend the past XXX of years has been to have one guy in your pocket, and maybe w/ a manager/love interest/etc.

I, obviously, RP a ton of guys. Here in NFW, I have used DC, WildStar, The Oblivion Express, Tsunami, Rayne, Calvin Carlton, The OSS, August De La Rossi, Z.!, Lone Wolf, PowerMaster, Ryan Oracle, a bunch of one-time tag teams and Troy Windham.
    Amen to that. I feel like right now I'm RPing the most amount of guys I ever have at one time. Problem Child/Castor Strife (both as a team and as singles), Jimmy Mylde (manager), "New School" Layne Winters, Just One Dude (J1D)..., and I'm introducing a female manager/part-time wrestler pretty soon, who I also think will be unique compared to past female FWrestlers. It just sucks when all your feds have deadlines at once!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    I am the worst handler ever.
    HAHA!

As I read that I was like aww Colin's gonna feel so bad!

i officially deem this "good thread" btw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GreggG View Post

I can't stress enough how important I think it is to RP more than one character.
    Of course, if you stick with just one character for long enough you end up as me. And is that really that bad?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Character names are important.

See: The Plumber, Joe

;-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WestPREZ View Post
    The *P Underrated List You All Have Missed:

GLP!
    MAD DOG!
    STEVE SCHROEDER!
    PAUL PIERCE!
    JOE MASSACRE!
    MAD MIKE VENTOLO!

...I could keep going. lol
    Some guy named Jenkins?
    Blood, Sweat, Pain. Everything else is just an excuse.

In the end, it's not about winning or losing, It's all about the PROMO!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suddenimpact View Post
    Of course, if you stick with just one character for long enough you end up as me. And is that really that bad?
    You didn't just RP one character. You RP'd two. And you used their relationship to expand the characters through the years. You also had Valerian's Garden, backstory w/ Eli's wife, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jericoholic, Angleholic and Benoitholic Anonymous, Maggot, Captain Suleimon, General Rahman, Sephiroth, El Pantera, Roderick McRatrick, Annihilator, Firebrand, Ihor Danavich, Lollipop, Jess Chapel, Priest, Eisenkreuz, The Phantom Republican, Jeffords, Der Braumeister, Jimmy Donovan, Jake McCody, Hoss Garrison, Monsieur Fantastic IV, NOTTheMountie, Timmy Lester

Yeah, put me down as another guy in the "handle as many guys as you can" category
    The Wrestling Blog - I'm all grow'd up.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J_A View Post
    Jericoholic, Angleholic and Benoitholic Anonymous, Maggot, Captain Suleimon, General Rahman, Sephiroth, El Pantera, Roderick McRatrick, Annihilator, Firebrand, Ihor Danavich, Lollipop, Jess Chapel, Priest, Eisenkreuz, The Phantom Republican, Jeffords, Der Braumeister, Jimmy Donovan, Jake McCody, Hoss Garrison, Monsieur Fantastic IV, NOTTheMountie, Timmy Lester

Yeah, put me down as another guy in the "handle as many guys as you can" category
    Wait a second, did I just read that you RPed Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII?

You know what though, that's kinda freakin' cool though. Didn't somebody also RP "The Final Fantasy" Seymour Almassy? As in Seymour from Final Fantasy X? It's ok though...I actually came up with the idea for Problem Child while watching the movie 'Problem Child'. Seriously. He was supposed to be a jobber/lackey to Alex Wylde in an old 90's fed called ACW. Now how does this all relate to JN?

Well, Jamar actually e-mailed me one day and said "Hey, bring Problem Child to UWA, he's cool!" And so that's how an obnoxious character like PC ended up in NFW all these yeard later. If you can't stand PC, blame Jamar for giving me my first push! Thanks JN! BTW somebody ask Katz where he got the idea for "Amorican" Marc Robinson from. I SAW VH1 Behind the Music: Black Crowes, buddy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Sephiroth wasn't Sephiroth, just a crazy guy who thought he was Sephiroth

And Seymour Almasy wasn't from FFX. The name came from Seymour Guado's first name from FFX and Seifer Almasy's last name from FFVIII.
    The Wrestling Blog - I'm all grow'd up.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information