PAYNE defeated:
Chris Storm (in a play-in)
Devin Shakur
Kin Hiroshi

MASON defeated:
Steven Shane
Tony Gamble
Troy Douglas

Match to take place at the FedEx Forum in Memphis, TN. RP deadline is Sunday, April 8th, 11:59:59 PM EDT, give or take a second.

Fusenshoff
04-06-07, 09:30 AM
Fade in to Ace Mason wearing goggles, a parachute, a form fitting aerodynamic suit and standing on the edge of a cliff. Pan out and quickly and the viewers realize Ace is about to base jump. He jumps over the edge and is back to the ground in ten seconds. He takes off his goggles and detaches the parachute.

Ace Mason: “Wow a drop like that is like having ten orgasms.”

He takes a deep breath and continues.

“Some people have called me an adrenaline junkie. I suppose base jumping is pretty damn stupid and may kill me some day, but that’s half of what makes it so much fun. I’m more pumped up now than I was making my first three opponents tap out to the Icing Gavones.

“The fact of the matter though is if you’re not willing to take some risks every now and then you’ll live to be 110 and die a virgin with no real memories to smile about.

“Honestly I should be a little more careful with my mortality considering it was a miracle that I even made it out of the Chicago Outfit alive. It’s less a miracle and more due to the fact that I simply don’t hesitate in those split-second moments when a decision must be made. My quick instincts have saved my life more times than I can count and I rely on that special edge in everything. I believe when the moment of truth comes I may not always come out on top, but I’ll always make the right move.

“Making the right move at the right time is absolutely essential. It’s also something my opponent this week has yet to learn.

“When I look at you Jayson Payne I see the Tazz-manian Devil from Looney Tunes with a few more coherency brain cells and an LSD problem- because you have to be on drugs to stir up some of the crap I’ve seen come out of you.

“You run around beating up everything that moves. You take out five security guards like its nine-pin bowling and kick doors down easier than Hogan rips shirts off.

“Give me a break.

“You also relied on the fact that you’re no longer the ‘same old Payne’ with Hiroshi. Good luck pulling that one on me, kid. I’ve watched you in this tournament and frankly that’s all I need to know. I’ve watched you wrestle and while you’re impressive, you’re also very beatable. As far as your promotional spots and your eccentric behavior- it reminds me of a ‘B’ rated movie.

“You’re just a hothead with an inferiority complex trying to confuse and intimidate people. You jump through hoops and act totally random to distract your opponent and get in their heads.

“That’s why I say you can’t be relied upon to make the right moves when the time comes Jayson. You don’t follow your instinct. Your thoughts are calculated if completely random and usually overcompensating for insecurity not worth understanding.

You said you’ve always wanted to take something beautiful and ‘tear it to shreds’. At what point in your match against Foxx did you first realize your aspiration would soon become an afterthought? I know it wasn’t near the end of the bout because by then you were holding onto every last gasp in a failed attempt just to win the match. Was it when the match first started and even though you ‘never look past any match’, you stared down the 135 pound woman in front of you and realized your arrogance may ruin your malicious plans?

“Maybe it was right after you watched Fight Club and heard the words from Edward Norton’s unnamed character ‘I felt like destroying something beautiful’… no that’s when you copied the inspiration.

“I think I’ve pinned the moment down. It was when you heard your entrance music playing and realized you forgot to steal Foxx’s press-on nails that you knew you weren’t tearing anything to shreds.

“I look forward to watching you act like a donkey for the next few days and then we’ll have our match.

“Beat up a grandmother, threaten some Arabs, have a political rally at Chuck E. Cheese for all I care. Just show up ready to go in Memphis.”

Fade out as Ace picks up his goggles and his parachute and walks off.

Jason Payne
04-08-07, 10:52 PM
FADE IN on an overhead shot of a lone two lane highway somewhere in the American southwest. In the distance, the large, looming silhouettes of a line of buttes and mountains can be seen through a thick haze. The road is grey, and cracked from years of withstanding the blistering heat of the desert. It is a straight line of asphalt and faded lines contrasting with the browns and yellows of the desert. The highway appears to have no beginning, and no end as the camera completes a 360 degree shot of the area.

TRANSITION to a gentle fade in from the previous shot, to one down on ground level, in the middle of said road. The road bends slightly over a small hill, the haze bending the lines and the road in the high temperatures. There is no sound except for the gentle wind that rolls along in the background. Other than that, it is the sound of nature at it's most raw.

FADE TO another shot, this time looking across the road. In the foreground, a black scorpion is seen sunning himself in the heat. It's tail and pincers moving slowly as it adjusts itself to regulate it's temperature. The sounds are still as the wind slowly dies down. Suddenly, a low rumble is heard in the distance. It grows closer and closer, and as it does, the scorpion twitches as if it's registering something approaching. As the rumble reaches it's crescendo, all of a sudden, all that is seen is the blur of a car. It blurs by at a blazing speed, and all that is left is the crushed remains of a scorpion as the rumble fades off in the distance.

CUT TO a shot from directly in front of a green 1969 Plymouth Fury. The camera pans across the hood from left to right, showing the front windshield and the contents within. As we pan across the hood, Jason Payne is shown at the wheel of the car, wearing his trademarked sunglasses. His left arm hangs out the window with one hand on the wheel. his hair whips around in a frenzy as he roars down the highway. A sneer is on his face as he just stares straight ahead, looking past the camera to whatever may lie ahead of him in the road.

CUT TO an interior shot of the Fury, from the passenger side, looking over at Payne as he continues to drive. Without even looking at the camera, he begins to speak.

Payne - "So Ace, you think I'm beatable huh? Well, chock another one up in the Captain Obvious department. Though my efforts to show otherwise are legendary, I have been known to have had my shoulders pinned to the mat a time or two. And regardless of whether it was Foxx who pinned my shoulders, or whether it was the legendary Spoiler, the lowest common denominator is this."

Payne turns to the camera, and pulls his sunglasses down to look right into the camera.

Payne - "I always get back up."

Payne pushes his sunglasses back up to his face and turns back towards the road.

Payne - "Ya know Ace, it would be really easy for me to come out here and try and mislead you with some sort of bizarre, and over the top promotion that has absolutely nothing to do with the match at hand. I would do this in order to throw you off your game. But see, the fact is, based on what I've seen from you so far, you don't possess the cranial capacity to digest something of the complexity. Which is why I've decided to just come out of the gates and head directly for you instead of relying on careful word trickery and mad comedic timing to put myself over."

"Do you honestly think that by trying to rationalize my actions during my match with Foxx that you are going to somehow find a way to beat me? Well, if that's the case, I guess you better go call your wife and have her come down and wrestle me in your place. of course, from what I hear, your wife is 5' 5" and weighs about 400 pounds, so I don't think she'll have the athleticism of Foxx, but I'll try not to hold that against her. I'll just hold her to the buffet line and let her eat herself into a stupor till she passes out and then 1-2-3."

Payne chuckles a bit and cracks a smile before turning to the camera for a moment.

Payne - "Damn it there I go again Ace. Playing for the lowest end of the spectrum. I guess I better come up with something better than that if I'm to look good in our match this week."

Payne turns back to the road.

Payne - "I'll tell you what you should do Ace. You should lock yourself in a room and watch every video tape of me you can get your hands on and prepare for a match with me, instead of coming out here and running your mouth about how beatable I am, and how even though I am unpredictable, and how I'm tough, you've seen all you need to see in regards to how you're going to defeat me. Is this supposed to be some clever little way of telling me that you're going to mop the floor with me but at the same time, telling me that you're not going to mop the floor with me? Are you trying to confuse me yourself with your words, trying to get me into some sort of conundrum where I'll be looking to my left and get hit with the right? Is that was this is?"

"If it is, then it's pretty pathetic. In your own cute little way, you're basically coming out here and saying what Kin, Devin, and Chris all did before they faced me in the ring. You don't see them in this tournament any longer do you? Perhaps you better go back and re-think this strategy of yours because if you continue down this road, it's going to end up with you getting sent home earlier than perhaps you expected. The path you're walking is kind of like this road. Straight, no curves. All heading to one destination, one cataclysmic event that will alter your career in one way or another. There is no escape from this, less something should happen."

Payne turns towards the camera and lowers his sunglasses.

Payne - "Cause there're always bumps in the road, and adversity to face."

Payne pushes his sunglasses back up to his face and turns back to the road. Suddenly there is a bam and Payne jerks the wheel to the right. CUT TO an exterior shot of the car, it’s right front tire blown out. The car swerves off the road, a cloud of dusting flying up. The car hits an embankment and flies up in the air, flipping over once before landing on the driver's side. The car slides to a stop and comes to rest on it's roof, the dust cloud concealing the car very well.

A few moments pass as the dust cloud clears. The car sits on it's roof and there is no motion whatsoever from inside. The camera CUTS TO a different angle of the car, showing the drivers side. The door slowly opens, and a bloody hand is seen clawing it's way out. CUT TO another shot, showing a closer view of the driver's side. Payne claws his way from the wrecked vehicle, a trail of blood covering his face. Slowly, he extricates himself from the car, and pulls himself up to his feet. Breathing heavily, he pushes his hair back from his face, revealing the extent of his facial injuries. His forehead is covered in several small cuts, and one large gashes over his left eye. Payne limps away from the car slowly, and up to the road. Staring down the long road, with no sign of civilization in sight, he turns back and looks at the wreckage of the car for a moment.

As he looks onto the wrecked car, the cry of a red tailed hawk is heard overhead. Payne looks at the camera, his sunglasses broken and hanging off his face. His voice, is raspy and haggard.

Payne - "You see Ace, no matter what happens to me, I'll always get back up and carry on. Beatable, or not."

Payne lets those words hang in the air for a moment before limping off camera. CUT TO a shot of Payne limping down the road. FADE TO a shot of Payne walking down the road, but farther in the distance. FADE TO one last shot of Payne, blurry in the haze as he continues to walk down the road. The camera pans to the right to reveal a rusty old sign that reads "MEMPHIS - 1600 mi" as we FTB.

Fusenshoff
04-08-07, 11:52 PM
Fade in to Ace Mason on the treadmill at a local Gold’s Gym. Enter Fusenshoff.

Fusenshoff: “Dude, they found Jayson Payne.”

Ace Mason: “Good. I’m not on this treadmill for nothing.”

Fusenshoff: “He just did a promo.”

Ace Mason: “You’re kidding? What time is it?”

Fusenshoff: “You’ve got fifty minutes before the deadline. Don’t worry, I brought the camera.”

Ace Mason: “Yeah I can see that ‘Hoff, you’re rolling.”

Fusenshoff: “Right. I also taped his promo for you. We don’t have much time.”

Fade out.

Fade in as Fusenshoff adjusts the camera and Ace is standing in the middle of the gym with a water in his hands.

Ace Mason: “Thought you’d slip one by me huh, Jayson?

“I’m glad to hear you know that you’re beatable. From what I saw right before you trashed Jess Chapel’s office you sure seemed delusional about what happened when you were knocked unconscious by one of the best in the business in Spoiler. You even tried to make Chapel believe you were told to job to your little girlfriend in the first round. I don’t know where the hell I got the idea that you’re a little confused and in denial about taking your licks.

“But you get right back up every time. Boy oh boy, it sure is a good thing you made that adamantly clear. For a second there I was under the impression you didn’t beat three straight guys after getting your ass handed to you in the first round.

“Even when you’re trying to be all straight-faced and badass with your running over scorpions and crashing cars you’re still about as comprehensible as a Catholic priest buying a diaphragm.

“Now you’re going to track down my non-existent wife at Old Country Buffet because getting ridden like a Korean call-girl once already apparently wasn’t enough in this tournament. Now you’re going to mess with a 400 pound butch broad when she’s getting ready to fill her face. Good luck with that. Let me know when and where so I can call the paramedics ahead of time. I’ll even tell them to rent Jackass 2… that way they can watch the scene where Wee Man gets smothered on a bed so they’re well prepared.

“You keep spending all your time making sure the camera is positioned correctly to catch your hair blowing in the wind so everyone takes notice that you’re the ‘serious Jayson Payne’ now. Lord knows how tough it is to pin an opponent with bi-polar disorder, I’m sure that will swing brilliantly for you.

“But then again everything I’ve said so far is played out right? I’m just like everybody else you’ve faced so far even though you have to ask me exactly what it is I’m trying to pull before our match. You think I’m trying to pull a Kansas City Shuffle, but you’ve seen it all before.

“That’s from Lucky Number Slevin by the way, in case you’re still keeping tabs on movies you can steal things from.

“The fact of the matter is I sense some fear in you Jayson Payne. I see a guy who’s been non-existent all week trying to sneak in under the radar at the last minute and get his two cents in before I get a chance to make him look stupid. Nice try hot shot, but not this time. Fear is a damn difficult thing to overcome and if you’re this scared of a little verbal sparring then I’m going to be very disappointed making you tap five minutes into the match when this could’ve been a war.

“But hey Suddenly Serious, you have a few days left to conquer your fears so we can give the fans an experience equivalent to an elite eight showdown. I recommend visiting every buffet you can in Memphis (believe me, there’s plenty down here) and knocking over every table in the place. Then when all the moo-moos come thundering after you through the aisles you can trip one of them up and just roll her, like you’re bowling, into every other broad oppressed by obesity. That should do the trick.

“And hell, if that doesn’t work just show up at the last minute for our match and wait for the bell to ring so you can beat up ten innocent bystanders afterward and make them listen to you complain about jobbing to Ace Mason.

“Not that you’ll need their encouragement… you’ll get back up anyway.

Fade out as Fusenshoff turns off the camera and the two laugh about Ace’s promo.

Jason Payne
04-09-07, 05:21 PM
FADE IN on Jason Payne standing in front of a TEAM banner. A yellow Post-It note with the letters "NFW" scrawled on it is stuck above the TEAM logo. Jason Payne, with his arms folded across his chest, looks at the camera through a pair of dark sunglasses. His expression is blank, betraying neither anger or contentment.

Payne - "I know what you're thinking Mason. Did I cut two promos, or only one? Well to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I kind of lost track myself. But seeing as I'm "Too Hot for TEAM", the highest rising superstar in this business, I could rip your head clean off your shoulders, you've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky? Well do ya, punk? You talk as if I've gone insane, as if my methods are unsound. Are they unsound? Or perhaps, there is no method at all. What did you expect from me?"

"I can see you. I know who you are. I watch you... I KNOW. I am what you see. I am what you watch. I am it. I am the hands. I am the feet. I am the eyes. I am the body. I. AM. PAYNE. PAAAAAYNE... THE WATCHER. THE FEAR. THE ETERNAL. THE SAINT! You are nothing."

Payne calms down from his seemingly intense rant to look calmly into the camera.

Payne - "You know, this used to be a helluva good business. I can't understand what's happened. It's like everybody got chicken. We can't even get into a second rate promotion everyone is so scared. But when you think about it, they're not scared of me, but of what I represent. What I represent is freedom. Oh, yeah, that's right. That's what's it's all about, all right. But talkin' about it and bein' it, that's two different things. I mean, it's real hard to be free when you are bought and sold in the marketplace. Of course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free, 'cause then they're gonna get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are. Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."

"But I believe in America. America has made my fortune. And I'll make a fortune out of beating you in this Tournament this week. It's going to be horrible when I beat you like an animal. When your family comes to see you in the hospital, your nose will be broken. Your jaw is going to be held together by wires. You're not going to be able to weep because of the pain. Your family will weep for you however, because you will no longer be that shining light in their lives."

Payne reaches up, chuckling, brushing some hair back from his face.

Payne - "And now you're telling me I'm crazy over here because I don't sit there like a ******* vegetable. Don't make a bit of sense to me. If that's what being crazy is, then I'm senseless, out of it, gone-down-the-road, wacko. In that case, I find you GUILTY Ace. Guilty of judgin' me and sellin' me out! With the power vested in me by the kingdom of God, I sentence you to the Ninth Circle of Hell! Now you will learn about loss! Loss of freedom! Loss of humanity! Now you and I will truly be the same."

Payne reaches up and scratches his chin in deep thought.

Payne - "Yeah, you know, it'd be all too easy for me to keep going on and on stealing movie idea after movie idea, but you have no one but yourself to blame for that. You see, in my never ending quest to bring the wrestling industry to it's knees, I find it necessary to utterly destroy every pop culture reference I can get my hands on. While you certainly understand this, you obviously read a tad too much into my portrayals as I really wasn't even thinking about Fight Club, or even attempting to satirize that when I made that comment at Foxx. it's YOU that's decided to plant this seed. However in doing so, you've only revealed to everyone what a fool you are for getting as caught up in my character as you have."

"Make no mistake about it, I'm not the misguided wrecking ball you think I am, and try to make me out to be. Quite the opposite actually. I have quite the cunning intellect, and every move is properly planned. Of course at times the plans don't always turn out for the best. I'm sure the Britons didn't plan on the Colonists putting up such a good resistance. Just as sure as the Germans never thought their plans would never come to fruition. I have a plan for you this week Ace Mason, and I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure that it succeeds, and no matter what the costs, I will succeed."

Payne takes off his sunglasses and looks directly into the camera as it slowly zooms in on his face.

Payne - "I want you to look at my face. I want you to look in my eyes Ace. You say that you sense fear in me? Take a look. Take a long hard look at my face and tell me if you see ANY hint of fear there. Son I've stared down things in this world that would make most other men cower in fear. I've been in situations where I've had to make life and death choices. having to face you in the ring does not strike me as such a life changing experience. You will look at me from across the ring, and all I'll simply do is stare back at you."

"When the bell sounds, and the match begins, be rest assured that no matter how badly you may hurt me, how much pain you put me through in that camel clutch of yours, that short of dying in the middle of that ring, there will ALWAYS be a fight left in me. After 20 minutes of going through the ninth circle of hell with me, when you're gasping for air that burns your lungs with each breath, with blood and sweat stinging your eyes, muscles fatigued, barely able to stand...ask yourself 'Is this worth it?'. Ask yourself if this is what you had in mind. Ask yourself, 'What did I get myself into?'. I'll go ahead and give you the answer to that question now Ace."

The camera closes in on Payne's face, so that all you can see are his dark eyes which seem to tint red with a barely containable anger. A Payne finishes his comment, his voice is deep, gravelly, and downright foreboding.

Payne - "The fight of your life."

FTB