PDA

View Full Version : MEXICO CITY: Karl "The Dragon" Brown vs. Alessandro "The Artist" Sanzio

TH
02-05-07, 08:33 AM
The defending Merritt Trophy Champion takes on the newcomer blueblood from New England.

First round matchup to be held at the Beard-Eaves Memorial Coliseum in Auburn, AL on Auburn U's campus. No RP limit, RP deadline is Sunday, February 11th at 11:59:59 PM (give or take a second).

EpyonMarx
02-10-07, 05:55 PM
[FADE IN. “The Dragon” is standing in front of a TEAM logo, wearing his traditional causal clothing – white T-shirt, fleece jacket, and jeans. Obviously, this is going to be a very simple, basic spot, with the words taking the foreground]

Karl: Who would have thought, this time last tournament, that we’d be in this position? When I was facing Trevor Hawke over in Philadelphia, in a match billed as FW’s rising star taking on PRIME’s owner of the best leg drop in the business… I wonder how many people thought that in the first round this year, they’d be watching one of the same wrestlers as defending champion? A little over twelve months on from my win over Viktor Molotov, and that is what we have. The man who has quietly progressed up the ladder, who many are waiting on to lift a world title, is now wrestling in Mexico City against a man he’s, once again, never heard of. I’ll be honest. He’s also probably never heard of me.

Which is how it should be in a tournament like this – when everyone already knows each other, it takes away some of the spectacle. If it were Dan Ryan taking on Irish Red, or Beast taking on Lindsay Troy, or whatever, then people may as well just tune in to Aggression. If it was Mister Entertainment against MWG, then they could just tune into Raucous. If they wanted to see Stephen Shane, or Cameron Cruise, then they could simply take their pick of any number of shows. What makes the TEAM invitational tournament special is the chance to see people who you normally wouldn’t have the chance to see fighting each other to see who is the best. Every round has unlimited potential for things that are new, exciting. It should be a time of unpredictability.

But, sadly, it looks like this year is going to be the same as last, when Trevor Hawke failed to appear before the match. I do partly know who I’m facing – Alessandro “The Artist” Sanzio. But that’s all I, and the fans of this event, know of him – his name. Is he a good wrestler? Can he compete in the ring, or will he crumble like a house of cards in a storm?

Because that’s what I’m worried about. Not whether or not he can beat me, but whether he’ll crumble or not. More importantly, whether or not he’ll turn up. Because after Trevor Hawke’s lacklustre performance last year, after beating Shane three times across the end of two thousand five to present, and after holding the Empire Pro Wrestling Intercontinental Title since November two thousand and five, winning the Chad Merritt trophy in the process – I know the eyes of the wrestling world are on me. I know that I’m not the best kept secret in the business any more.

I can’t just tip-toe my way to the trophy again. I’m the one with the bulls-eye on my back. Yes, the big names are here – Beast, James Irish, Dan Ryan, Sean Edmunds, Adam Benjamin, IrishRed, Shawn Hart, Larry Tact, Rocko Daymon – names I’m familiar with. They’re here, bringing the instant name recognition, but even so, I know full well my name, Karl “The Dragon” Brown, is the one being watched. People have seen the names enter tournaments only to fall easily – some without turning up, others just walking out of the ring at the bell. The fans know when they see my name on the marquee now what to expect.

Someone who is going to go into the ring, and wrestle. Whoever is put in front of me, in whatever match I’m booked in. Change it at the last minute, and I’ll wrestle. Change my opponent last minute, and I’ll still wrestle. And I won’t rely on name value to carry myself – after all, I’ve been in this industry three years. I’m twenty four years old. I don’t have the ego to go with a long and illustrious career, and I’ve avoided the soap operas. I’ve just worked hard and quietly, very quietly, positioned myself at the precipice where so many have fallen.

I’m at the edge, looking to jump from one mountain to another – to leap from big fish in a small pond to having the name recognition where, if I wanted to, I could just phone it in like many of the names I gave earlier, and I’d still be booked. I’d be called the greatest despite the up-and-comers coming in and, occasionally, proving that greatness to be a sham.

It’s a scary thought now I look at it that way. How easy it becomes to take that way out, reaching the peak and then gliding on the currents back to sea-level. But that’s a topic for another time.

I’m the one people are going to be paying attention to. Can I repeat my success from the last tournament and once again come away with the trophy? I won’t be sneaking into the finals this time. I can’t hide behind the names of others, taking them out one by one on my way to the top.

In many eyes, I am the top.

All I can do is go out there and wrestle who or whatever is put in front of me, however I’m told to do it. I just hope that Alessandro proves to be more of a challenge than Trevor Hawke was.

Otherwise, I’ll be starting two TEAM invitational tournaments the same way.

With a whimper.

[FADE OUT]