PDA

View Full Version : [4. A1E vs. 5. NAPW] Big Dog vs. Ravager - "I Quit" Match

TH
09-26-06, 09:58 PM
One fall to a finish, no time limit. Winner must make loser utter the words "I Quit" into the house mic.

RP Deadline is Wednesday, October 4th, 11:59:59 PM.

Ravager
09-29-06, 05:00 PM
Ravager sitting in his Edmonton apartment, watching tapes, and preparing for not only his upcoming tag match at NAPW's Lethal Lottery, but for his Dupree Cup playoff match with A1E superstar Big Dog.

So. Here we are, at that awkward stage of any TEAM match. I go on about how "I've never heard of you before Big Dog, and you sure haven't faced anyone like me before". Then comes the sabre rattling, the various putdowns of each other's promotions. Inevitably it'll get personal enough that false accusations of homosexuality or such not are spat out.

Do we need to do this Big Dog? We've both been at the top of our respective federations. We're both obviously skilled at what we do. Why don't we just rely on our strengths to get us through to the match?

Because it wouldn't be fun, that's why.

So, since A1E is the higher seed in the tournament, Big Dog gets to choose our match stipulation. I'm surprisingly okay with that. I've been known to think up some odd match stips myself, so why not let my opponent have his fun? More importantly, why not let him keep his only advantage going into the match?

You're big. But I've beaten bigger opponents than you.

You've got skills. I've beaten more talented opponents than you. Nothing personal, just stating an obvious fact. Now I'm almost positive you feel differently, but face facts, no matter how good you are, there's always someone better. Unfortunately for you Dog, you're about to meet your better.

I promised that NAPW would make an impact in the Dupree Cup. So far, that promise has been kept. But all it takes is a one second loss of focus for us to get set back. It almost happened in the first round. It won't happen now.

So think up something creative Dog. Let's give the fans their money's worth. Just try not to be disappointed at the end of the match. I've made it a habit to crush people's dreams. I'm not going to stop for you.

Ravager smirks.

Fade to Black.

BigDaddy
10-01-06, 07:44 PM
BigDog is seated in his living room. On the television is a commercial for A1E's Warfare emanating from Yokohama, Japan this week.

BigDog: So, a few days ago I shook my tag team partner's hand before he boarded a plane for Japan. He's headed over there to help A1E launch our first tour of Japan in several years. Most of the time, I'd be the first one on the plane for something like that. I like nothing better than putting on a show for people that appreciate it, and Japanese fans are among the most appreciative in the world.

However, I'll have to be joining that tour late. This week, I've got a prior commitment in the Dupree Cup. And for now, that's more important.

You see, last week I stood up under the banner of A1E and I came up short. Beast and I went into that ring against two absolute jokes, and we came out on the short end of the stick. Just goes to show you that you never know what might happen. That's why you never take anyone lightly.

Which brings us to this week. We're out of the round robin portion of this tournament, and we're down to single elimination. Another slip up like the last round, and we'll be sent home. Quite frankly, I just can't have that.

Up against me this week is a man named Ravager as A1E takes on NAPW. As he has already said, neither of us really knows much about the other. He's staking his claim to being the better man already, which is hardly surprising. I couldn't begin to tell you how many times I've heard someone tell me that they were better than me.

But here's the newsflash for you, Ravager. I've already been in the ring with people better than me. You'll hardly be the first.

But, unfortunately for you, that doesn't always translate into a victory for the better man. You see, it's not always the most skilled competitor that comes out on top. Quite often, all those physical skills, that perfect body, those chiseled muscles, don't add up to all they should.

When that bell rings, more often than not all that goes right out the window. What it comes down to then is who wants it more. And that, my new friend, isn't something you're going to find on a videotape. That you can only find by looking into a man's heart. Believe me when I tell you, that heart is never on more prominent display than when you step between those ropes, all alone against the man across the ring.

BigDog gets up from the sofa and walks a little closer to the camera.

BigDog: So, it appears that A1E has earned the advantage going into this round, and I get to pick the stip for this match.

What do you say we make it something really appropriate? How's that sound to you?

Good, I'm glad to hear that.

So here it is. No gimmicks, no weapons. As you said, we are true competitors. We've been on top of our respective federations, and we've seen it all. So let's keep this simple.

In order to win this match, you have to get your opponent to admit that you are the better man for that night. Just utter a few words into the house mic, and all the pain will stop.

Hopefully that works for you.

I'll see you in the ring, Ravager.

Ravager
10-01-06, 08:38 PM
Hawrelak Park. Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Ravager sits quietly by himself on a park bench, staring intently at something offscreen. The camera pans over to the object of Ravager's attention: a large Rottweiler. Cut back to Ravager, who has a large smirk on his face.

Too obvious a set up? Sorry. Can't pass up an opportunity when I see it.

An "I quit" match. And a nice choice if I say so myself, Big Dog. I never got the whole "tapping out" thing. Isn't it more satisfying to hear the words from your opponent? That he can't take any more? I'll be honest, I've devoted more of my time to grinding my opponents into the mat. The crunch of bone as my knee connects to their ribs. That sickening smack of my fist smashing against their cheek. But an "I quit" match. ... sounds like fun. I'll have to go a bit slower. And I'll have to work harder. But I'm okay with that. Nothing in this life should be easy, and I'm not so arrogant to dismiss an opponent with size and experience advantages.

But I'm not so respectful that I'll hold back in the ring. That whole "I must win Dupree Cup and NAPW pride and small orphans" and all that other stuff I've been repeating for the last month. Sorry to rush through it, but you've heard it all already, and I don't feel like wasting anyone's time.

Ravager gets up and walks over to the Rottweiler, who starts to growl.

Now, smarter people would walk away from a big dog like this. Deluded people would spout some cliche about the "bark being worse than it's bite". Granted, those are the people who get bitten the hardest.

Ravager kneels in front of the dog, who has not quit growling.

Hmm. When I get up close... you're not so big, are you? Sure, you're a threat, and you deserve all the respect in the world...

Ravager holds his hand out. The dog leans it's nose closer and sniffs Ravager's hand.

But your power comes from people being afraid of you. People who take a step back, or panic. Who show weakness.

Ravager is now scrathing the Rottweiler behind it's ear.

You named the match Big Dog. And it works just fine for me.

I just hope you're not disappointed when it doesn't work out for you.

See you in the ring.

BigDaddy
10-03-06, 12:05 PM
BigDog is walking down a corridor with his gym bag looped over his shoulder. Without stopping, he talks to the camera.

BigDog: The names change, but everything else remains the same.

Invariably when I run across somebody new, they revert to the same, tired old cliches that nobody seems to be able to resist. Always with the dog jokes. Man, those never get old!

Let me clue you in on something, Ravager. I didn't take the name "BigDog" because of some infatuation with man's best friend. I don't run around the ring barking at the audience like some poor man's Rick Steiner. There is no dog collar around my neck. And you damn sure won't find me carrying around one of the Moondogs' soup bones.

The name is more symbolic than that. I am the big dog in the yard. The measuring stick. You want to make a name for yourself in my territory, you've got to go through me to do it. It's that simple.

A name like that isn't something you give yourself. It's something I earned through years of hard work. If it seems too trite and cliched for you, my friends call me Paul. You can call me "Daddy".

BigDog turns and smirks at the camera before continuing on.

BigDog: I'm afraid I have to correct you on one other matter as well, Ravager.

This isn't your grandpa's "I Quit" match. No, I have no interest in merely making you give up. That's too easy. You could quit and go on with your life as if you never met me.

No, my stipulation goes straight to the heart of your first words on this match. This match will be over when you say into the microphone "You're better than me".

I don't care about making you quit. What I do care about is you realizing that all that bravado you spit out a couple days ago wasn't worth a damn. It was all just said to pump yourself up. Well, I'm here to deflate that ego of yours.

I'll be seeing you in the ring soon, Ravager. Don't plan on walking out of it the same man as when you walked in.

Ravager
10-03-06, 03:17 PM
Ravager, backstage before the latest NAPW show, Lethal Lottery.

It's amazing you know, how many of my opponents try to psyche me out with the "you're not original" ploy. It stings. Especially coming from a man calling himself "The Big Dog in the Yard". Never heard any athlete use that one. Ever. But I could trade school yard insults all day and still not feel superior. You see Big Dog, the true test is in the ring. No quips, insults, or name calling matters once the bell rings. All that matters is who can dish out punishment. And you know what? Everybody thinks they can. Every opponent I ever had has promised to make hurt me. To make me bleed. To make me "quit". And very few ever have. Are you going to be different? Maybe. You're big. You talk tough. But deep down, do you really have what it takes to injure me? To the point that I proclaim "You're better than me?" ... (chuckles) If there's one thing I have proven in NAPW, is that I don't take a loss well. Ask any man who has managed to pin me. I make their lives Hell until I get that win back. Pride is often my downfall. But it is also my greatest motivator.

So do you really think you're going to make me demean myself in the ring? Do you really think you can go that far without killing me? To get me to utter those words? You can talk about my inflated ego all you want, but you must be insanely in love with yourself to think you're strong enough to take me to that level of pain. Bravado may just be your downfall as well, Big Dog.

I had hoped to keep this civil Big Dog. Now you want to raise the stakes. You want to humble and change me. Fine. You can try. I just want to win. Hoenstly, I could care less if you leave the ring a better or changed man. All I care is that you leave after saying:

"You're better than me"

Say it a few times Big Dog. Practice at home. I bet those words just roll off your tongue. Cause when the time comes, and the ref puts the mic to your mouth, I want those words to come out loud and clear, so every fan will know for sure.

That I am better than you.

See ya soon Dog.

Ravager leaves the locker room, heading towards the ring entrance.

BigDaddy
10-04-06, 11:32 PM
Sitting on a bench in his lockerroom, BigDog slowly wraps tape around his wrists. Without looking up, he starts to speak.

BigDog: See, there you go misunderstanding again.

It was never about you being unoriginal, Ravager. Hell, if I picked on people being unoriginal in this business, I could line up the entire roster of just about any federation out there and rant until I was blue in the face. Quite honestly, I've got better things to do with my time.

But you see, it's not the unoriginality. It's the simple fact that you can't seem to understand what a metaphor is. Why is everybody in this business so literal? Is it too many shots to the head? Too many hours going up and down the highways? Or is the stereotype true that the average wrestler just isn't the brightest bulb in the box?

I don't really know. And at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter.

BigDog raises his eyes to the camera.

BigDog: You really think I've raised the stakes all that much, Ravager?

Maybe, maybe not. It doesn't really change reality. When that referee raises my hand after our match is over, everybody in that audience will know the answer to which of us is the better man. There will be no question about that in the eyes of anybody who bought a ticket to get in.

What I'm interested in is them knowing that you know it too.

That's what this is about, Ravager. You say I'm the one who made this personal. Sorry kid, I ain't buying it. You rant and rave about how everybody you've faced has come out and told you how much better they are and how they're going to destroy you in the ring as if that's saying something to me.

And yet, I just spelled it out for you the last time we talked regarding why I instituted this stipulation, and it all comes back to you, junior. The first time you opened your mouth, it was all about how you were better than me. Something to the effect of "there's always somebody better, and you're about to meet your better". Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do sort of pride myself on paying attention when people are talking to me. You should try it sometime.

This match is all about you, Ravager. I've been beaten by better men before. It's nothing new. If I hadn't, I still be wearing a World Title around my waist. On any given night, one man or the other can be the better man. When I lose, I'm the first to shake my opponent's hand and tell him he was better than me that night.

I don't see that in you though. I see a man who believes he's the absolute best in this business. Quite frankly, I have my doubts. Maybe it's true, maybe it isn't.

But you see, at this stage of my career, I'm looking to test myself. To see exactly what's left in the tank, so to speak. If you're as good as you say you are, I want to see it - ALL of it.

That's why I made this stipulation, Ravager. I wanted your absolute best, and you've jumped through the hoops exactly as I expected you to. Thanks for that.

Now, when we get to that ring, I can be sure that I've got your full attention. No distractions, no other cares or worries. Just you and me, with nothing else in the world in between. Beat me, and I'll shake your hand.

Lose and ... well, let's just say I won't be holding my breath waiting for you to extend me the same courtesy. I'll understand though. A blow like that to an ego like yours is pretty painful.

Someday you'll thank me for the lesson you're about to learn.

Ravager
10-05-06, 03:28 PM
Ravager, waiting for his plane to take off from the Edmonton International Airport.

Here I go again. Another plane trip. Another match. Another hostile crowd. And another opponent who thinks they know me.

Big Dog, I could go through the last thing you said to me point by point, but really, why? You try and expose my ignorance, and you show more of your own. You talk about how I misunderstand metaphors. Maybe. If this were an English class, I'd probably be tapping out by now. Though I thought it was pretty clear that I was using the dog to represent you... maybe that was a simile... I always got that **** mixed up... And what do you mean I take things too literally? It's not like I thought I was talking to you when I was talking to that Rottweiler... ah screw it, figuring out your logic will just make my head hurt.

The time approaches Big Dog. We meet face to face, and try to force each other to say those hated words:

You're better than me.

How could this not be personal Big Dog? You chose the words in the hopes that I get humbled. You say you want my absolute best? You would have gotten it in any other match you could have chosen. I don't discriminate. Any opponent who steps in the ring with me gets my full attention, no matter what skill level. But you, oh you just wanted to get in my head. Provoke my sense of pride. And you did. But now, you're forcing me to step up my game just a little bit more. Better than my best. Will it be enough?

Well, we won't find out by talking, will we?

See you soon Big Dog.

Oh, and I look forward to shaking your hand.

Fade to Black.