PDA

View Full Version : [MBE vs. UCW] Hida Yakamo vs. The Sergeant; Submissions Match

TH
08-18-06, 03:51 PM
No time limit, gotta make your opponent tap out to win.

Deadline for RP is Friday, August 25th, 11:59:59 PM

Linguistic
08-18-06, 07:55 PM
The scene fades into a wrestling ring inside a small gymnasium located in Springfield, Missouri. In his traditional ring attire, The Sergeant is running through a couple of submission holds with a young member of Team Midwest, a mixed martial arts training team.

With Sarge on his back, the young kid (maybe 17 or 18 years old) attempts to work a Kimora. Sarge continues to block his attempts before finally telling him what to do to get it locked in. Once the hold is locked in, Sarge taps him and the both get to their feet.

The Sergeant: Nice work on the mat, kid. The only thing you need to work on is your level of frustration while trying to lock in these submissions. I know that you want to lock it in, get the guy to tap out, and bask in the glory of it all, but you need to realize that their are plenty of people out there who are more than a little slippery when it comes to making them tap out.

If you show an intense desire to win while being patient and thinking about what you're doing on the mat, then you've already got a leg up on just about every teenager out there that is interested in a mixed martial arts.

The kid nods his head in acknowledgement.

TS: I was lucky enough to have a tough coach in wrestling throughout my elementary, junior high, and high school days who instilled both in me. It only intensified when I joined the military, with or without the help of my superiors.

The kid looks perplexed.

Kid: Why would you say "with or without", Sarge? I mean, you learned combatives and hand-to-hand combat in the Army, right?

TS: We do have courses like that in our basic training, and sometimes during the course of the year we would have refresher courses that reminded us of the fundamentals, but it was hardly a tough training program. I remember when I joined that my grandfather cracked a joke about learning enough hand-to-hand in basic training to get my butt kicked at the local bar.

He laughs to himself.

TS: It was anything but intensive, though. That's just another example of why you need to get everything down now and then build your self motivation so that you can continue training when you are unable to be taught in this kind of setting.

Sarge pats the kid on the back.

Kid: Thanks Sarge. I've been watching you since you started this whole professional wrestling thing and I've noticed that you don't apply as many submission as you probably can during the course of your match. What's the deal with that?

TS: To tell you the truth, I ask myself the same thing on plenty of occassions. It's a different game in professional wrestling. There are so many styles coming together in the ring and a person is hard pressed to attack each opponent the same way. Doing that makes you predictable and easy to defeat. That's the last thing I want to become.

Lucky for me, I signed on to represent Ultimate Championship Wrestling in the Dupree Cup over the course of the next month or so. My very first match over there is a submissions match against Hida Yakamo. The only way that I will be able to win it is through submissions, which means you'll be seeing me attempting submissions the entire match.

Kid: I can't believe you have a match with Hida Yakamo! That's crazy! Do you know a lot about him?

TS: I'd be lying if I told you I hadn't heard of the guy... over and over and OVER again. I'm talking everytime I turn around Hida is in a Match of the Year candidate or is being heralded for his mic skills or something similar. There is no doubt in my mind that the guy is good... and he probably can hold his own in a submissions match. But, he's in a submissions match with the combat tested, mother approved submissions and technical wrestling machine!

If that isn't bad enough, he's dealing with me in a setting where I have put my reputation on the line. I told the UCW viewing audience that I will fully represent them in the Dupree Cup. I'm letting it all fly when I step into the ring for UCW.

The kid gets a small, slightly perceivable smirk on his face.

Kid: Isn't that only because you were snubbed by the people who gave you your first big break in wrestling?

If Sarge is perturbed, he does well in not showing it.

TS: It's true that Empire Pro didn't pick me to represent their team. That just gives me the fuel to make them pay by making sure that if and when they meet UCW in the Dupree Cup, we send them packing.

It's nothing more than to let them know what they have there in EPW.

There is a slight pause in the conversation.

Kid: I guess I'm done for the evening then?

TS: Go take a couple of laps and report back to me. I'll make sure you get another set of pushups and situps in and then you can go hit the showers. Now move out!

Scene fades...

Hida Yakamo
08-19-06, 09:32 AM
"There is no doubt in my mind that this guy is good..."

(Fade up from black. Hida stands in front of a banner baring the old MBE logo)

Hello, Sergeant. Evidently you have heard of me. Well, in fairness, you were right about one thing. Everyone has heard of the Asian Wonder. Perhaps all I am nowadays is good compilation tape fodder for the dorkuses on the Internet that took up scrap booking my career as soon as their first tapes of me in tiny black rookie tights showed up in conspicuously unmarked brown boxes on the front steps of their parent's house.

After all, every other fed in this little Cup has an active, vibrant roster of the best and the brightest to ever grace their respective rings.

And what does MBE have?

Just that vaunted 'reputation.' The buzzword that is no doubt on every fedhead, and every wrestler's lips in this tournament

Well, as funny as it may sound to your upstart ears, my team has oh so much more to prove than you and UCW. More than any other fed or wrestler in this tournament, in fact.

You see, it's easy to make a name for yourself in this business. Anyone with a clever moniker and a few neat moves or a few neat camera tricks can get their fifteen minutes of fame in our chosen profession. The ledger of wrestling infamy is filled with names long forgotten after the next big thing came along, or the next big thing burned out, or the next big thing pissed off the wrong promoter.

No, it is much harder to keep a name in this business. To any day of the week, any day of the year, walk into any ring from New York to New Delhi and have your opponent already three-quarters beaten by the mere mention of your name, the mere presence of your personage. And there was a time, make no mistake Sarge, when my three comrades and I could do just that.

Of course, we were also more than capable of pounding you into a flat enough pancake that you would be kosher for Passover as well. So really, the reputation was just a bonus, a bit of ego stroking for men with very large egos.

But let's be honest shall we. The last year or so hasn't exactly seen the Asian Wonder retaking the wrestling world by storm. In fact, one could make the argument, and good lord does it pain me to say it, that I am the guy the other teams would most like to face. After all, Red is the best your fed has to offer. Spoiler is, well, Spoiler, and has completely decimated everyone in A1E, which is, by some bizarre grade curve, the hottest fed running today, or some such. And Whitenoise, well, he's just a scary mother****er, and nothing he has done in the last year, which I imagine has involved him lighting transients on fire somewhere off Interstate 80, has damaged his legacy.

And whither the Asian Wonder?

Well, time after time, I have opened my mouth only to have some far, far more mediocre wrestler shut it for me. My promos make me look like a horse's ass, and my match of the year candidates end with myshoulders on the mat.

So I took some time off, did some soul-searching, put some weight back on in the gym, and spent time with my family. And one day I looked in the mirror and decided that the last image of my career was not going to be the decimation of a freaking midget.

They say there is nothing more dangerous than a man who has found something worth dying for.

That's simply not true.

There is nothing, nothing I tell you now, more dangerous than The Asian Wonder. And he has found something worth living for, worth wrestling for. And that is the look on all your little punk faces when he and his teammates hoist the Dupree Cup over his head.

But perhaps I am getting ahead of myself now Sarge. Every great journey begins with a single step. As I am sure your inspirational message a day calendar must tell you from time to time. I will say that it was nice enough for Jess Chapel to give an old fuddy duddy like me a bit of a break for my first match. A bit of an easing in period, if you will.

I mean, a submissions match?

Seriously?

I mean, I guess you know how to apply a kimura. So all is not lost. Except you are facing Hida Freaking Yakamo, so it kind of is. The sheer width and breadth of means by which I can wrack your body with enough pain to make you submit, not to mention cry for God, Mommy, and medic, has yet to be fully documented by man. I mean, even I keep finding new ways now in my twilight years.

But look at the bright size, Sargey, you'll finally get to actually see The Asian Wonder in action, up close, and oh so very personal. I can't actually wrestle myself, mind you. (though such a match would no doubt be so cataclysmically good that the world might very well implode under the stress of it's brilliance...theoretically) So I can't say that I have any advice for you. I've been told that the experience can double as some sort of religious ecstasy. I mean, there are still people out there who practice flagellation and self-torture in the name of God, right? Admittedly, my Master's is in philosophy, not theology, but every so often, usually during Holy Week, the BBC will produce some news report from Mexico or Spain consisting of people marching through the streets, whipping themselves while chanting the name of their Lord. So I guess it is not to unlike that. But unlike the almighty I take a much more vested interest in my own work. So the sadism and torture is all on me.

But feel free to cry my name throughout the experience.

Linguistic
08-19-06, 11:44 AM
Scene fades in to the Sergeant, dressed in his traditional ring gear, on the outside of the wrestling ring in that very same small gynasium we saw him in during his last promo.

The Sergeant: Well, I've got a better understanding of the man, the mythm the legend that is Hida Yakamo. Boy, is he a long winded son-of-a-gun! It's cool, though. I mean, we all get a little lengthy in our promos from time to time.

I, for one, fall victim to long windedness a little more often than most. I don't know if I really have that much important to say, but I say it nonetheless. The cool thing about Hida is that he actually made sense the entire time he was speaking... in today's professional wrestling scene, that is a huge plus!

I couldn't help but to notice that he was a little bit marigalizing of my submission abilities and my reasons for wanting to do well. It seems that I "don't have as much to prove" as he does, and his submission ability is far surpassing of my own, so I should just pack things up and head back home to one of the many wrestling organizations I compete in... complete with my tail tucked between my legs and everything.

There are a few of those points that he made that I disagree with, so I guess I should probably stick around for a little longer until Hida can convince me that I'm wrong.

Sarge takes a moment before continuing.

TS: Hida... first off, I would have to agree with you about MBE. When I said earlier that I had heard alot about you since I came into the sport about a year ago, it wasn't a lie. I've heard tons about you, and the majority of it has been in conjunction with MBE.

MBE has this intimidation factor that commands an unhealthy amount of respect from those a little further down on the food chain. I'd have to say that is quite the advantage going into an event like the Dupree Cup. Who knows, maybe the rest of MBE's matches against UCW will come out as victories and you all will be sitting pretty atop the Cup Standings. Not in this match, though.

This is a submissions match. While I have no doubt that you'll be able to inflict your fair share of pain on me over the course of the match through submission holds, I assure you that there are a few more submissions up my sleave than just the simple Kimura.

I mean, come on! One of the most innovative submission holds in the business is my finisher, the Corrective Training! I have yet to wrestle somebody who has escaped the hold once it was applied. So, when it comes to submissions you had best not sell me short.

Pause.

TS: But I understand. You have a bigger and better reason for winning this match than I do. You have more to prove.

You're a legend that has fallen on some hard times. Beat by a midget. I understand. I got ya.

I'm no expert, but what you were talking about sounded more like somebody speaking in frustration than a guy who was ready to lay it all on the line for another chance at the top. If that is your "more to prove" reason, then the reason has a few flaws.

You're stepping into the ring with a rookie who started off with a bright future. Everyone in the wrestling community had been singing his praises. He had desire, focus, intensity, and the wrestling skills to match most ring veterans. Then he fell on some hards times. Underhanded veterans handed him loss after loss after loss. Defeat after defeat after defeat.

Unlike the picture you paint of your current status, The Sergeant has since turned his fortunes around and is on his way back to the top. While you are lamenting about your recent past and how you need to turn it all around, I have stepped up my game and actually started turning mine around. This Dupree Cup is exactly what I need to do just that.

Pause.

TS: While I'll have to admit a little disappointment that my first match is against you and I would have preferred to warm up a little bit before I really took off, I am more than ready.

I was passed over by organizations that wanted to put their "big names" in the forefront, not realizing that when it comes to the front lines, a combat tested and mother approved juggernaut is what a company needs more than anything else.

EPW did it. Dan Ryan chose to put himself in the Cup rather than let his rookie be showcased.

A1E did it. They chose to put people on their team who had a total of two matches there before the Cup started. Meanwhile, a guy who had been there for eight months was left out.

UCW stepped up to the plate. Ken Cloverleaf realized that the one person who he needs in the mix of every battle he is facing, whether it be an invasion of his company by the upstart Major Championship Wrestling pukes or this very same Dupree Cup, is The Sergeant.

Sarge realizes that he's getting a little fired up, so he takes a moment to reflect.

TS: There I go again. I caught a case of the long windeds again. I told you it happens to the best of us...

... but at the end of this long winded promo, the fact still remains that when you and I step into the ring, all of the submissions knowledge... all of the "more to prove" reasons, and all of the intimidation that you and MBE bring to the ring will have no effect. At the end of the day, you'll still be getting something that you deserve...

A little CORRECTIVE TRAINING!

Scene fades...

Hida Yakamo
08-20-06, 06:02 PM
(Fade in. Same Mr. Yakamo. Same MBE logo)

Sarge, I gotta be honest with you. Your last little ditty had me tickled pink. I mean, if we've come to a point in time again when the worst thing a man can say about me is that I'm 'long-winded' well we better start partying like it is 1999 again. Which is fine by me. Because hell, I was on top of the freaking heap, I had lovely long hair, and I was dating a cute little bitty from the Indy film circuit who was a tiger in the sack.

Oh, and I had full range of motion in my both my arms. Can't forget that.

But at the same time I can't help but be a little saddened, too. Is this what The Asian Wonder amounts to now? A guy who 'must be pretty good,' was in a few match of the year candidates back in the days where flip phones were a groovy new invention, and prattles on like your perennially half drunk Vietnam Vet uncle.

You know Sarge, just between you and me, there was a time when the mere mention of my name sent ships aground, lemmings over cliffs and grapplers twice as tough as you to sports psychologists for a little positive reinforcement of their place in the universe.

The rumors whispered about me would have been better suited for the pages of the most eye-roll inducing sort of pulp fiction then for the locker room gossip mill.

That I was missing three toes from a youth spent in the employ of a particualarly violent sect of the Yakuza.

That I bred the most violent breed of pitbulls, and then fought them myself as part of my training regimen.

And my personal favorite, that I was some sort of real life Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde after discovering an ancient elixir used by Welsh pitfghters while on holiday from Oxford. It was made mostly out of sheep livers and was drank before a match to send the drinker into a frenzy that could only be quelled through the blood letting of another.

Now really, I can't possibly live up to those legends. After all, I have all my toes, prefer the company of terriers, and pretty much eliminated most meat from my diet after the age of 18.

Unfortunately for you, though, there is one legend I can live up to. And that is the simple legend I have carved for myself in the wrestling ring. One that has led to as much spilt blood as one might expect from a Welsh pitfighter, if they exist I suppose. And while my legend has exacted its toll on me, in both blood and far less tangible taxes, it has exacted the lion's share of the cost from the bodies and souls that deigned to stand across from me.

And in this instance, it’s your body, your soul, Sarge. A man under the influence of his own drug, albeit not the bitter tea of steeped sheep liver.

Your drug is training, as is made evident every time we see your face grace our screens. But what drives a man in such a perpetual quest of fitness and fortitude

For merely himself, perhaps?

That always noble, never-ending quest to better one’s self?

In part, certainly.

But let’s be honest, Sarge. Your own words belie your true intentions. You do all this in some attempt to elevate yourself among the throng of mediocrity. To never again be a mere anonymous passerby in the unremarkable, undistinguished, and all together average sea of humanity. And to show Dan Ryan and EPW, to show James Irish and A1E what a terrible, horrendous mistake they made in not coming to you and asking, no pleading with you to represent their organizations.

And what better way to do it then with a submission victory with a man, a myth, a legend the caliber of the Asian Wonder. Well, they will come crawling back to you then, vindication for all those hours spent bent over barbells and puke buckets. There they will cower in front of you, on their knees, hat in hand, hand on heart. They’ll promise you money and women, fame and fortune, if only you will allow them to rectify their tragic mistake of not including you on their team.

And then you will be able to say ‘thanks, but no thanks’ and leave them in the corner, weeping, while you march off to lead the often ignored, occasionally maligned UCW off to ultimate victory, and the Dupree Cup. And hey, you may even get that girl you had a crush on in high school to finally notice you, you know, the leggy redhead.

And then, back to the gym, because a true champion never rests while there is work to be done.

Cure fanfare and exeunt.

Of course, the far more likely outcome is that once more you seize the moment and prove the Dan Ryan’s of the world completely astute in their judgment of you.

Because Sarge, all the training in the world, whether pit bull intensive or not, cannot possibly prepare you to step into the ring and match moves and match minds with The Asian Wonder. While you seek to quench you unslaking thirst with that first title, that first bit of legend, there is nothing more dangerous than the man that has had that title, has been that legend. For those of us lucky enough to have been there, that pang of want haunts our dreams and eats away at our waking hours. You may think you know what being the best truly entails, what it truly requires, but you cannot begin to estimate it until you have been there, and you cannot imagine what a man would do to return to that pedestal, to carry that gold again.

And that drug is stronger than your drive to prove your own excellence, the drive to prove your betters wrong.

You shouldn’t fear the man who has everything to prove, Sarge.

You should fear the man who has nothing left to lose.

Linguistic
08-21-06, 10:09 PM
Another day filled with training for The Sergeant. After hours of doing his normal cardio and wrestling workout routines, Sarge is settling down on a bench outside of the same small gymnasium where he has been in the past few promos.

The Sergeant: There is a lot to be said about me... how I think, what I'm all about, the reasons behind both. Of all of the likely places to receive an accurate analysis of all three, it's very unlikely that Hida Yakamo would be to source.

I'm not a fan of playing the odds game, though.

If I were a fan of playing the odds game, I probably would have never joined the Army. I would have never headed off to war. I would have never lead troops and held myself responsible for each and every one of them under my command who were injured or killed. I would have never changed my profession to that of a professional wrestler, either.

You see, Hida broke it down for everyone at home almost one hundred percent accurately. In wrestling, training is a large part of who I am and how I approach a match. To me, I can't say I did everything in my power to win a match... no matter how qualified I may be to do so... if I don't train to the borderline breaking point.

I see a lot of wrestlers who take the opposite approach. They don't train. They rely on their name, their size, their status, their pull with the powers-that-be behind the scenes. They never really do anything to put the finishing stamp on their chances to win.

I guess I just feel that training is the basic building block to any sports competition. Not only that, but training is the basic building block to just about anything you do. I shudder to think about what would happen if as a soldier I relied on my status as a member of the United States' technologically superior military to win a battle or to escape with my life.

I guess that's just the way I was brought up... and I guess Hida hit the nail on the head. Hooray for him.

He also wasn't far off in his analysis of my reasons for competing with UCW in the Dupree Cup. I'm looking for respect. I'm looking for apologies. I'm looking to raise up to that next level that he so eloquently predicted I won't achieve at his expense. He's an amazing guy, this Hida Yakamo.

You'd think that after all of this brutally honest observations I would be fearing for my well being in a submission match, of all things, against him in the near future. On the contrary.

Sarge takes a pause to think about what he just said.

TS: I can't believe I used the phrase "on the contrary". My friends are going to have a field day with that one... but anyway...

I'm looking forward to stepping into the ring with this man-myth-legend. The only thing that I'm looking forward to even more than that is hearing what this guy has to say next. He's probably the most entertaining guy to watch... ever! (and I've chatted with James Irish a time or two)...

I still can't help but wonder if the guy is just a little desperate...

Sarge trails off momentarily.

TS: Who knows, though? Maybe the two of us will be the best of friends at the end of this and can share a few training tips. I mean, I would have never thought of training fierce pitbulls for the purposes of training myself for a wrestling match.

Sarge laughs as the scene fades.

Hida Yakamo
08-24-06, 01:46 PM
Nothing to see here. Stupid boards.

Hida Yakamo
08-24-06, 01:48 PM
(Fade In: Hida in front of an MBE Banner once more)

Sarge, I've been in the gym, you know, once or twice in my lifetime. You know, back before I had the name value where I could just live fat off my reputation, as you assume all those people who are better than you must do. I mean, I know I wouldn't have won all those titles without all those promoters drugging my opponents because they couldn't let a name like Hida Yakamo lose at any cost.

I suppose it is a fairly harmonious name, when I think about it. It doesn’t have two Z’s in it, so the arena interns don’t have to run out to the story to buy another giant z to put on the top line of the marquee whenever I come to town. Sure, it’s probably a little ‘ethnic’ sounding, but hey, it’s an ever-shrinking global community. No, you just can’t compete with the euphonious qualities of names like Hida Yakamo. That’s why you have such an uphill climb in this business.

It couldn't be that you fall short on mere merit. It's never that. You are always overlooked because of you don't have a big name or a clever moniker, not because you simply aren't good enough. I mean, you've been in the business almost a year now, and what have you accomplished. Run an organization into the ground before you were bailed out by UCW. Pissed and moaned because you couldn't scrape together a win against the dregs of A1E. Oh yeah, and trained a whole lot.

I won't regale you with tales of my first year in the business. Suffice to say the phrases 'best ever' and 'saviour of professional wrestling' were more than liberally used.

You know, before I stopped working out and survived on a diet of Krispy Kreme and yes men.

Well, the truth is Sarge, there are exercises for your biceps and triceps and abductors and adductors. You can roll around at three-quarters speed, and you can do some sparring with six ounce gloves and headgear. But none of that actually prepares you to face a man in full speed no holds barred combat. And when that time comes, sure the training helps, but in the end, you either have it or you don't. And historically speaking, I have it. You don't.

Now, I am sure that you will tell me that history doesn't mean all that much. You really, really want it this time. You are fighting for fed, mother, god, country and all that good jazz. And if I dare underestimate you, I will get some of whatever it is your clever little catchphrase purports this week. This time. This time will be different.

And if not, well, there's always next time. Cause then you'll really, really, really want it. And you'll train triple hard.

Sure, history ain't the be all and end all, Sarge. But hey, you wouldn't invest in a mutual fund without looking at past performance. And in the world of wrestling, Hida Yakamo is AAA and you are nothing more than a junk bond. I deliver the money when it counts, and you are a cautionary tale about reckless investment.

Cause there is nothing more reckless than trying to put your money where your mouth is when face to face with The Asian Wonder.

But for the record, Sarge, I spend as much time in the gym as you do. But I don't need to show the world. They see the end result, and that is all that matters. They see the end result with you, too, so I suppose you might as well show them how hard a worker you are.

And for the record Sarge, I want just as bad for MBE to win this whole shebang, as you want UCW to win. I mean, it probably doesn’t make sense that a man who so obviously coasts on his reputation could be hungry for anything more than the big steak dinner that his servants bring him after being prepared by his personal chef. But here I am anyway.

You see, while you might be satisfied with the mere respect of your peers, I like a healthy mix of fear, idolatry, avarice and scorn. And we’ve been a bit low on the fear and avarice lately. Fortunately, even on my sabbatical, I see the wrestling hasn’t run out of go-get-em, pie in the sky, give it their all underdogs, whose dessicated remains have always look particularly plucky when I am through with them.

Sarge, guys like you have been my calling card before your poppy even bought you your first set of dumbbells and first ‘wrestling cliché’ dictionary.

And while I wouldn’t even share my extra set of headphones with you on a cross country plane ride, even if you were sitting in between a screaming baby and two fourteen year old girls discussing the merits of really cute boys, and whether the new Ashlee Simpson album is ‘like awesome’ or ‘like totally awesome,’ I will share with you a bit of training advice. One, I am sure, you will have no trouble taking to heart.

Train harder.