PDA

View Full Version : Format Poll

DBrunkGXW
11-26-05, 01:31 PM
Ok, we have four options to vote on for the sake of my curiosity.

Option 1: We alternate shows. We do a full form fleshed out Aggression, then a short form Onslaught, then a full form Aggression, then an Onslaught and so on in that order.

Option 2: We get rid of Onslaught, only have Aggressions but every other Aggression is short form.

Option 3: We do full form Aggressions, but the matches that are roleplayed for the least get short form treatment while everything else gets fully fleshed out.

Option 4: We do full form Aggressions, but while we are roleplaying for Aggression we do an Onslaught house show card for those not booked.

EpyonMarx
11-26-05, 01:44 PM
I reckon the forth option. I see Aggression very much in the same way as Raw or Nitro, and think the full-form works well for that show. Although, if it will speed things up, maybe when matches are sent out they're sent out with an estimate as to how long the match should last (e.g., 5 minutes, 10 minutes, etc). Onslaught is a good idea to run whilst waiting on Aggression results.

That's my tuppence.

Steve
11-26-05, 01:58 PM
I guess my question for option 1 is, who's booked on OnSlaught? Everyone or newbies?

I didn't mean to necessarily start a discussion on whether we should change formats. The Onslaught results just brought back the good ol' days of Prodigy when cards were two pages and 100 people were booked on them. hah.

I think unless you're an angle based league that gets your weekly shows out relatively on time, like the fWo, then you shouldn't a slave to writing 30 page cards. But the difference here is, we're rp'ing...and then writing. In an angle league all the focus goes on the card.

I think EPW cards are some of the best that are out there, but my pet peeve be it in the NFW, here, or especially in the CSWA is to get things moving faster. I've been beating this drum for a couple years now, and at least in the case of the latter...you see how effective I've been.

While I've enjoyed writing the recent string of Melton matches, I'm here to roleplay. Every other card in short form would speed the angles/cards up. Sure, you're giving up a well-written card, but I think if we tried this, and got moving, people would live with it just fine.

The short-form with angles/segments tied in wouldn't be as pretty as a PPV, but...it could work.

Anyway..I'm fine with the current way. It hasn't hurt EPW's growth at all.

But, I'd love to see Agg21 done in short-form format just as a test. And I'd be more than happy to help bridge everything together.

I'll shut up now.

-Lindsay's Baby's Deddy

Steve
11-26-05, 02:04 PM
sometimes i dress in women's clothing...

-Bump

Linguistic
11-26-05, 04:08 PM
I think most everything excluding the PPV can be done in some style of short form that explains everything without it being a full fleshed out show. In my opinion, this makes the PPV's even more exciting... and eases the burden of the fed-head and the rest of the handlers who try and help out. We wouldn't deal with people no showing the matches they are supposed to write, and it makes it less of a hassle when someone no shows their RP responsibilities.

I'm newly returning to the hobby though... I think I might have a different perspective on things.

Josh

JABolich
11-27-05, 01:36 AM
While short form makes for faster cards, it also makes for crappier cards, and from what I've seen EPW has a patient group of handlers who are willing to sit on their duffs for a couple weeks as long as the card comes out cool. I voted 4.

Oh, and Tard, thank you for explaining who left those floral panties in the locker room. Weirdo.

QueenOfTheRing
11-27-05, 03:12 AM
Just two things before I vote, Dave. Would Onslaught in Option 1 still be for those not booked or would it be anyone you decide to book on it? Would Onslaught in Option 4 be short form or full form?

TH
11-27-05, 03:17 AM
I voted for three. I'm a big proponent of the "get what you put into it" style of running things. If you work your ass off, then you should get a nice, juicy 8-10 page match (15-20 page match on PPVs). If you put in one RP apiece, then hey, expect to get a shortish writeup. No show? Prepare to get squashed in a manner which Steve Lombardi would say "Dayum dawg, you'se got squashed."

I'd totally be against adding another show, at least right now. We don't have the roster or the volunteers, and I don't care if the other show is going to be in the format of "Joe Schmoe beats Jack Schmack, pinfall in 12:23," it's too taxing right now. We should all take heed from NEW. Sean tried to add a second show to his TV lineup, and he's been bogged down.

Keep Aggression somewhat in its semblance right now. If you want to reduce the matches with "bleh" effort to paragraph summaries like you did for Onslaught, that would be great, but if you wanted to keep them long form, that would be great too. Just don't make things too complicated.

DBrunkGXW
11-27-05, 11:54 AM
Ok, let me respond to a few people.

Steve - It's not because of you. I was already thinking of ways like this to push things along before you said it. The first Onslaught was a test run thing in that vein.

Lindsay - In option 1, anyone could be booked on Onslaught. It would be an entire fed format of long form, short form, long form, short form and so on. In option 4, Onslaught would be just like the first Onslaught was, short form but RP'd upon while we were writing/waiting for matches for the full form Aggression.

Tom H. - Trust me, I won't overload myself. Onslaught literally took me thirty minutes to sit down and put together on Wednesday night and no version of Onslaught in any scenario would ever be full long form. Onslaught as a rule, if used is short form, period. It's just a way to have something going on at all times. Should be okay. I just want to know what particular format using it people would prefer.

MarcusWestcott
11-27-05, 01:12 PM
I'm with Tom in that you should get out of what you put into it. I've always believed that for the roleplayers, the writeups are the "reward" or "payoff" for rp'ing hard during the week. So, if two guys come out and bust their asses, give them a good, fleshed out match. If guys only put in 1 RP a piece, give them a short form match.

I've said this to Dave in IM, and I'll throw this out for everyone. Set a deadline for when your writeups are due. When writers are called for, add that they have to have the matches done by a certain date. Not saying that it has to be a four days like we do in A1E, but find a period that's a nice balance for everyone. I personally start getting antsy after a couple weeks. I can't wait much longer than that. I don't see why anyone can't sit down and write a match or a spot for their match within seven days.

Give everyone a week limit to write their matches/spots, and give Dave a few extra days to get formatting and his own segments done, and then you get a routine going. I don't think having a card done in two weeks is an unreasonable expectation. It's not pushing hard, but it's giving the membership an expectation, and keeps the interest up.

Linguistic
11-27-05, 10:07 PM
^^^^^^^I really agree with that whole post.

I'm not gonna lie... I get antsy, too. :)

Josh

thegr817deuce
11-29-05, 01:21 PM
Once again, the combo of Tom and Jarret make e-fedding sound simple. I agree with both of them. Not sure which option that would be though. I'm going to say I vote for Option 5, which is the Tom/Jarret option. You get back what you put in, in timely fashion.

-Shane

Steve
11-29-05, 01:25 PM
While short form makes for faster cards, it also makes for crappier cards, and from what I've seen EPW has a patient group of handlers who are willing to sit on their duffs for a couple weeks as long as the card comes out cool. I voted 4.

Oh, and Tard, thank you for explaining who left those floral panties in the locker room. Weirdo.

You vote for 4, but have gotten burnt on writing matches like many of us have, or will do. Short form's thrown in may lessen the burden on match writers and not have us dreading getting in front of a computer.

And I said nothing about floral panties. Dun Dun Dun.

Steve
11-29-05, 01:45 PM
I personally don't need to see every match i RP for come to a certain page length. The payoff IMO is in the rp. Kin and I have a couple segments planned this week, and a finish for the match...but honestly that can be done with a 2 page match. We can tell the story just fine, without saying, "hey we rp'd 2 or 3 times each...now i have to sit down and bang out 10 pages."

You get what you put in is good in theory. And you're saying a mixture of short-form, long-form..for those who do and do not rp well. Ok. Works for me. But, are we talking paragraph short form, or a short match writeup? And who writes that wrap up? Dave? I'm saying, 30 minutes on a Wednesday night is easier, perhaps, than having to bang out small matches.

I'd say make Onslaught available to anyone who wants a match, who just wants to rp, and turn in a character developing segment. Maybe keep a limit of how many matches, so you're not writing 10-12 wrap ups.

Hopefully Dave's not having to write a lot on these cards. Eight matches is a load. I like the idea of, one of the two guys/gals rp'ing in a match having to write the match. That's sorta you get what you put in, in boldface type.

I'm down for whatever as long as I can keep stalking Cruise, and being torn a new one in rp by Hiroshi.

jediPREZ
11-29-05, 03:58 PM
I know I'm not in the fed, but I voted for option 1.

I think logistically and mentally, you'll find it easier as a fedhead to deal with. ;)

JABolich
11-29-05, 04:04 PM
You vote for 4, but have gotten burnt on writing matches like many of us have, or will do. Short form's thrown in may lessen the burden on match writers and not have us dreading getting in front of a computer.

And I said nothing about floral panties. Dun Dun Dun.

I've been burnt all of once, and that was because I took on a match despite my will to write being in the sewer. I suppose you could count my handling of MCW as well, but I WAS writing the entire card myself.

I see your point, but there's still something to be said for a nice long-form card, even if there is a bit of a wait.

And some things just go without saying.

EpyonMarx
11-29-05, 05:58 PM
I think the match writers could help themselves. I know I've seen the matches I've been given sometimes and thought "What the [expletive deleted] can I do with that?" and then wracked my brains for a few days before I can even start writing. I think if match writers (myself included) maybe said what kind of match they could write, or even gave a rough guideline of what else they've got running at the same time (like how on this run I can't do a match because I have three essays to write for... two weeks on thursday) it would mean match-writers were given matches they could more easily fit in and write in the time given.